moving soon...time for my tv upgrade

b-man1

the 'ol 27" samsung's time is up...i'll be moving and want to complete the HT setup with a new tv. i know this is an old cliche here, but what does everyone recommend in the <$3000 range?

i want:

--HDTV/digital support

--4:3 vs. 16:9....um...hmmm...

--flatscreen

--36"+

--i don't want a projection tv due to size of cabinet, etc

------

i should add...it will be primarily for dvd/tv, and eventually console gaming (xbox, most likely).

i've only seen models at local best buy/circuit city stores...so i'm only familiar with the sony wega/xbr series, samsung, and panasonics.

thanks!

------------------

SF-2 mains

sc-1 center

ksb1.1 rears

ksw-12 sub

denon 2802

This message has been edited by b-man1 on 05-09-2002 at 11:45 AM

i went to a local electronics store after work...not actually intending on purchasing anything (of course, we ALL say that going in...hehe) and ended up staring at the 36" and 40" XBR sets. the salesman actually began bargaining down on his own, without my help. haha.

their original prices were:

sony KV40XBR700 40" $2999

matching sony stand $499 cwm3.gif

5-year warranty (in-house) $169

delivery $49

total = $3920.38 after tax

talked them down to $3379 + tax (3564.85)

then, using my american express price matching...i'll get it all for $3148 after tax.

does that seem pretty good? i think so, but haven't really heard what others are paying for this set.

thanks-

b

------------------

SF-2 mains

sc-1 center

kb1.1 rears

ksw-12 sub

denon 2802

A couple of suggestions:

RCA is discontinuing there 38" HDTV 16:9. You may find one at a reasonable price.

My friend was just in the same situation. He ended up with a 42" Toshiba 16:9 HDTV, very nice for the buck. The model is 42H81, it should bring about $1900 delivered from your local TV store. The great thing about this set is that it is only 18" deep. That is a heck of a lot less than most rear projection sets and also less than large direct view TV's. It upconverts standard 480i to 540p also. I think it is a great TV at a reasonable price.

Good luck,

JT

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!