Pro Amplifier on Klipschs (Crown or Qsc ?)

dtximages

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha, thanks Mark. The IPR series is truly a diamond in the rough in the world of proamps. It is implementing the same class D architecture that has become very popular in the DIY communities. The IPR is engineered very well and the way Class D works, the architecture usually dominates the sonic signature.

The IPR's gain structure is such that you will get +24dB above the speaker's rated sensitivity (so a 100dB sensitivity speaker will play at 124dB), with a noise floor that is 105dB down from that (so the same 100dB speaker will have a noise floor of 19dBspl), which is actually very quiet. The input stage will deliver peak output with -2dBV on the input, which means home audio gear will have no problem driving the amp into clipping (ironically Peavey does this intentionally so that uneducated pro audio users think the amplifier is louder).

It sounds like you went the QSC route, but if anyone gets the opportunity, I would highly recommend trying out the IPR series. My only sonic critique is the slightly increased output impedance at higher frequencies, which can cause the top octave of some speakers to tip up a bit - although for most speakers, this is probably beneficial (ya, even for the super bright Klipsch since the top octave is usually rolled off a bit).

• 1 year later...

I am pulling this back up to ask if anyone has tried the Peavy? I am thinking about getting a pro amp since a 300W "normal" amp is to expensive at the moment.

I am thinking either QSC GX3, Crown Xls 1500 or the Peavy IPR 1600. They float between 280 to 440€ here and I may be able to scrape enought for one of those. It would be pushing F3´s, I think they need a little more power than they are getting now.

I'd also recommend a Yamaha 2002, an extremely well thought out, beefed up Hi-Fi amp,

A pair of those beat out amps costing almost 10x as much in a large JBL studio monitor set up at the studio where I worked. Of corse, this was many moons ago.

While I understand the attractiveness of the so-called "professional" power amps in terms of bang for the buck, all the models being discussed above are considered to be the very low end of the pro-marketplace. Built to a price point with reliability goals beating out sonic performance goals every time (at these slim margins no one wants warranty returns). I'm not trying to be snobbish here but they are not considered an acceptable product in a good sound reinforcement systems for good reasons.

At least the Yamahas and other early PA amps (like the Urei) have real transformers. Switching power supplies, unless implemented really well (impossible to do for a low budget amp) are generally inferior and mostly exist to keep truck pack weights and costs down. Again, quality takes a back seat to function, you're not paying for sonic integrity here.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if you're not planning on spending substantial 4 digit sums on your "pro" amp then a good quality HiFi amp is a much better prospect.

Flame on, and while you do, check these out - http://www.l-acoustics.com/products-la8-30.html#

No flaming here, but I posted this in th eother thread about QSC's. I had both Bryston 7B ST's, which are essentially very high quality pro amps, and a QSC PLX for comparison with B&W N801's and you would have been hard pressed to hear a difference.

The Bryston's were 10x the price of the QSC PLX, and are great amps by any measure. This just speaks to how good the QSC'a are. I owned all of the equipment so this was not a case of me trying to make excuses for not buying the more expensive amps. Actually I would have liked to justify the price of the Brystons.

Something without a fan. Crown D75- D300 (get later versions), I have a JBL/Urie in the workshop powering the MCM system 6360 I believe massive heat sinks. QSC solid too, don't know if you can get them without fans I had an old 1400 it was a beast but fan noise not good for home use. Ultimate would be the Crown K2, if you use it in home there is a sleep function you can delete. I have them on the PA and at very low volumes my HF will shut down temporarily which is PITA.

Ultimate would be the Crown K2

I love mine. It doesn't shut off at low volumes and sounds awesome on KLF-30's.

I thought about getting another one to replace the EP4000 that is powering my subs....but after comparing them, to my surprise the Behringer actually sounded better to me on the subs. Comparing them on the speakers was a different story....the K-2 is clearly a better sounding amp. However, I don't think you can go wrong for the price of the Behringer if you're just using it for muscle. [Y]

photo

Do the earlier K-2's look different than this....or is their appearance the same?

The QSC PLX is amazing. The fan mod cost me less than $15 and 10 minutes of time and now it's dead silent. After lot's of research, the QSC PLX is the cream of the crop in the pro audio world as far as I can tell. Crown is not the same company as it used to be. IMO QSC is unmatched in sound quality and reliability. As far as the Peavey vs the QSC, here is a review from a guy on the Guitar Center site.

"Just got the new Peavey IPR1600 amp. This thing looks cool. Hooked it up to two JBL JRX215 cabs. It played very loud before clipping, but sounded pretty rough in the mids and highs. To do a comparision we hooked up a QSC RMX2450, WOW! the improvement of sound quality from the QSC was extremely noticeable. Not impressed with the sound quality of the IPR amp. but hey they look cool."

Thanks for all the replys.

Fan noise would not bother me much, this would be behind a wall and not really seen just heard. I guess I am just thinking the F3´s would get better with more power. Living on a champaigne taste with beer budget I am looking for a good amp < 500€ and unfortunately only the pro´s have this bang for the buck. OTOH pro amps are being used for gigs and mixing so they can´t be that bad [:D]

Now I am running them on a Yamaha RX-V1800 and they sound really good but only when you give them a little more juice. I know the KEF´s I had improved greatly at lower volumes when I got more power for them, they had a simular sensitivity of 92dB.

I will have to let this settle some more and keep my eye out for a good deal.

The new Crown XLS series are getting good reviews.....from audiophiles!!!!

Not an audiophile here.

I had four XLS 402's in my rack for a while. They sounded really good up till about 8/10'th, then they started to grate on my ears. I replaced them with four PLX2's and never looked back. The QSC's are very detailed, accurate and MUCH more non-fatiguing than the Crowns.