Pro Amplifier on Klipschs (Crown or Qsc ?)

dtximages

• Moderators

I have a Crown D-45 (modded by Mark Deneen) running my Lascalas that I absolutely love

I remember reading about that, I didn't know you had it [Y] probably one of the very few SS amps he has modded.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Crown D-45 (modded by Mark Deneen) running my Lascalas that I absolutely love

I remember reading about that, I didn't know you had it Yes probably one of the very few SS amps he has modded.

As far as I know, it's the only one. DeanG had it, then it went to Joesporster, then to me. It's not going anywhere soon.

I remember reading about that, I didn't know you had it Yes probably one of the very few SS amps he has modded.

As far as I know, it's the only one. DeanG had it, then it went to Joesporster, then to me. It's not going anywhere soon.

Nice amp. Do you have this hanging over it?

post-10861-13819828614818_thumb.jpg

I picked up a QSC GX-3 a year or so back to run my KP-301's and could not be happier! It's part of my garage/neighborhood/tailgate setup. For me, the GX-3 sounds very close to my HK gear.....warm, yet clean. For the money, I don't think the GX-3 can be beat.

Hogfan

I picked up a QSC GX-3 a year or so back to run my KP-301's and could not be happier! It's part of my garage/neighborhood/tailgate setup. For me, the GX-3 sounds very close to my HK gear.....warm, yet clean. For the money, I don't think the GX-3 can be beat.

Hogfan

I had one on a set of KP-250's and really liked it also. Very clear, very powerful and doesn't break the bank.

I connected my Behringer EP2500 up to my Klf-20s and (new) CF-3s. The sound was great and the amp obviously had a lot more power than the speakers could handle. There should be no difference in sound between any well-designed solid state amplifier, so I don't really buy in to that part. I can't imagine any application where a clean 450wpc wouldn't be enough for speakers. I understand the love for Crown, QSC, Crest, but there's no way I could justify paying that much of a premium.

I moved the EP2500 back to sub duty and have my Audiosource Amp Threes driving my mains now.

There's an EP2500 up for sale here in Vegas for pretty cheap, $180 I think.

There should be no difference in sound between any well-designed solid state amplifier, so I don't really buy in to that part.

I don't know what to say other than I will be buying more QSC PLX amps instead of more Emotiva amps in the future lol. I have them both and the QSC is my favorite. I actually prefer my QSC over my tube amps. Did you know QSC has never had one of their PLX amps fail within it's five year warranty period? We are talking about amps that have been abused on the road playing live shows night after night and all. Pretty solid testament to their build quality IMO. I have seen the light, no turning back now!

Do the earlier K-2's look different than this....or is their appearance the same?

They were offered in different color options. I've got mine in "bloody red". There was also "install grey", teal, blue, and yellow. Stick out tongue

If you have the colored face plates, those are the early years of the K2. I'm not sure if the circuitry changed but later years were the grey/green only. I know a guy who powers his EAW line array stacks with two each red, white, and blue. Cool looking rack.

Did you know QSC has never had one of their PLX amps fail within it's five year warranty period?

I have seen the light, no turning back now!

What a funny bit of phrasing (to me anyway!)

I've never had an AMP failure but I have had the power indicator LED go bad on 2 of my PLX2's. (Now you see the humor!)

BTW, I have a 6 year warranty on mine from QSC.

You guys are making the wait hard here ^^

I bought 2 Crowns via e-bay and one on Craigslist and they were SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than even a used "audiophile" amp would have been. I like them and am not looking back. Pro gear is my preference now.

Yep! Although I bought my Crown Microtech 1200 new back in 1987, I am seeing used ones all the time for about $300. And dang! It's a good amp! If they are good enough for Sting in concert, they're good enough for anyone's living room.