Pro Amplifier on Klipschs (Crown or Qsc ?)

dtximages

I couldn't agree more. I use a QSC gx500 maybe (im at work I don't remember) on my CF3's and it's awesome, clean and very loud. I'm fortunate to use a hall closet to house my components so fan noise does not bother me. If it's in your listening room, fan noise WILL be an issue with soft music.

You know Paul Klipsch always said lamp chord was his preferred speaker wire. I bet he would say the same thing about paying thousands for a name-branded amp. Sure some are excellent, but are they literally thousands of dollars better? Or any better?

I challenge an "expert audiophile" whatever that is to a listening test.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pro amps are a bargan because they are mass produced and do not need as much hype (meaning advertising dollars per unit) as audiophile gear.

Plus audiophile gear gets marked up to give the perception that it is better ("this $20,000 amp is much better than your $5000 amp...I will now go replace the interconnects with $5000 cords because I have no mechanical skills and this is all that I can do...").

I love my QSC's.

Pro amps are a bargan because they are mass produced and do not need as much hype (meaning advertising dollars per unit) as audiophile gear.

Plus audiophile gear gets marked up to give the perception that it is better ("this $20,000 amp is much better than your $5000 amp...I will now go replace the interconnects with $5000 cords because I have no mechanical skills and this is all that I can do...").

I love my QSC's.

Interesting how myths are gradually dying in favor of common experience. Back when I first joined, I got a lot of flack from all directions on why my Crown could not possibly be what I claimed.

I love my QSC's.

Can you even find 5000 dollar XLR jacks?

I bought a Mackie FR2500 power amp off craigslist a few years back, used with a lite touch of road wear for subwoofer duty. I did the fan mod, and it's given nothing but reliable service since.

I don't know the SQ of QSC compared to Mackie, and I've never tried the Mackie with my Cornwalls. I use a Sonance Sonamp 275 X75SE three zone power amp for the Corns, which I imagine would be a bit more "refined" sounding compared to the Mackie.

The Mackie does well with the subwoofers.

The Mackie was $200 used, the Sonance amp was $200 new, which is really a 550 dollar retail amp. I had to spend 600 for a new pre/pro, but I needed a way to lash everything together for 2.1 HT use with a smart teevee.

I remember that. But didn't you listen at 120 db or soemthign like that?

But I do remember that Dean suggested the QSC PLX as a great amp that was cheap. I bought mine new and it was about $500 or $600 if I remember correctly (the 200 wpc amp).

Yeah. I liked to let it rip for a few songs. Amazing what a cheap amp can do, isn't it?

Can you even find 5000 dollar XLR jacks?

Sure, check KImber or Vahilla. The high end amps are going XLR. Gotta have 'em now for those 8' runs.

This reminds me of the knuckel-heads on the B&W forum years ago. They had determined that Bryston monoclocks were not up to duty to drive main speakers, but were a good bargain subwoofer amp (not everyone, a few people there used Brystons for their system). The only reason that I could find to support this is that Bryston monoblocks have rack ears and are used in studios. Searching for ways to set fire to money...

What does that mean? In what way will they "knock the snot out of both of them"? Huh?

I think we're talking blow ups here?

Certainly the Carvers could produce some mighty sparks but frankly the bolt of blue lightening that comes out of the front of a QSC 4.0 as it leaves this mortal coil is a sight to behold. Crown's have become fairly uninteresting, traditionally the DC-300s went with a whimper but the PSA-2 was capable of some serious smoke, now they just don't power up and where's the excitement in that?

Now the Phase Linear, that was an amp capable of kicking some serious snot. Smoke, fire and a serious danger to anyone within 15 feet. Plus a transformer on the far left side meant a rack of them would easily topple over and break your shin bone. An amp that demanded respect and generally got it.

Good times, good times...

• 2 weeks later...

i been using the QSC GX5 with my R82 - on a marantz 7002 and its loud !! sounds very good - more than enough power - i have the gains up - which i like and use the marantz to control the volume - i can not get down to 0 db - it would be very loud - i can feel it in my chest the pressure :)

i have it in a HT system but use the amp for the fronts only - i did change out the Fan and cant hear it at all now - had it for years and never once had a issue - i would buy that again easily - maybe even the GX7 if i had the RF7 speakers

you wont be disappointed for sure -