amp with klipschorns and JM blueberry pre

tblake10

Hopefully at some point in not too distant future I'd like to get VRD's. But for the short term, what moderately priced amp would be a good match. How about a dynaco st-70? There are a lot of those original and restored for sale here and there. I'd be interested in impressions on that amp and suggestions on other amp in that price range (1k-under) that might be a good match from the vast amount of wisdom here on the forum.

I wouldn't say that there is an ideal optimal primo combination. It's basically a matter of personal taste. I have run Mcinotsh MC-2000's on Khorns and have also run VLT BM-350's. I like the VTL sound. But a lot of ther folks like the Mcintosh sound.

What will you like, single ended, push pull, 300b's, etc? My ears won't be of much help in your living room.

If I were to make a generic recomendation for khorns, I would say go with single ended amps for the HF section and SS for the LF section. There are a few El-84 based amps of recent design that put out a few watts that will work very well on your khorns.

Unless you want to learn about tube gear restoration and servicing and start to gather up tube testers, vaariac's, tube bias probes, etc, I would stay away from used "Vintage" and anything that says "test like NOS".

Blake, if I had the cash today I would be all over the Marantz 8b & the 300b, that are on the "Garage Sale" right now. I dont think you could go wrong with either of those. If thats out of your price range, there is a lot of SS amps that would suite your need's, especia;lly since you have already sweetened the tone with that Blueberry.

Many klipshers have noted there success with a tube front & SS amp. But just as Fritz so Will Roger'ees said, "My ears wont be of much help in your living room."

Can't speak about the Klipschorns, but my Latino ST120 paired with my JM Blueberry ex / cream & Cornwall I's sounds great. I had it set up with a Audio Dynamics B-200 SS amp before getting the ST120. It sounded real sweet, but not as sweet as the tubes. Just my $.02

Jeff

Hopefully at some point in not too distant future I'd like to get VRD's. But for the short term, what moderately priced amp would be a good match. How about a dynaco st-70? There are a lot of those original and restored for sale here and there. I'd be interested in impressions on that amp and suggestions on other amp in that price range (1k-under) that might be a good match from the vast amount of wisdom here on the forum.

If you already have an amp save the grand towards the VRDs and get them sooner.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm running an mc2100 now but I have a bad itch to run tubes on the khorns. Patience is not something I seem to have an abundance of. Pulled the trigger on a dynaco st-70 refurbed by Chris Kellar off the gon. I figure I can use it for a while then at least get most of my money back at some point.

exactly, you'll be able to get your money back, or most of it anyway. but you'll have gained experience with a new amp.

ran a cheap jolida integrated tube amp with my khorns as my first venture into tubes. it sounded very nice, i keep it as a backup now and run VRD's and a BBX. Love the VRD's. Might even try a flea watt set one of these days.

congrats on the dynaco!

The Dynaco arrived yesterday. This thing sounds sweet!. It looks great and was packed well. I'm happy with the purchase. My khorns love it. It is definitely an improvement over the mc2100 I was running. Right now running with a vintage sansui receiver as pre and still it sounds excellent. The tubes are just magic with khorns. My JM bbx is in the shop, Can't wait to get it back and run with the dynaco. Should be even better.