Chorus or Forte

jdurrum

Taken from your other post on this subject.

"IMO, the Fortes are a better choice. I think with the 12 inch passive, the Fortes produce tighter bass than the ported Chorus. Even though the Forte isn't a small tower by any means, the Chorus is a beast and can be somewhat cumbersome when transporting and moving around."

I'm even considering a pair of Quartets I found.

Quartets are great also. I often switch back and forth between my Fortes and Quartets just to keep it interesting. I will eventually connect the Quartets as "B" speakers with my Denon integrated and it will be much easier to A-B with the Fortes.

Truthfully, you can't go wrong with any of the "extended" Heritage line(Chorus I& II, Forte I& II, Quartet). I just put the Chorus I's at the bottom of a pretty even level pile.

Bill

Yes...... Forte hands down..... unless you are trying to fill a 2,0000 square foot room with sound, or using for a "PA" system. As Bill stated above Forte, or Forte II will give you beter imageing, etc. in "real world" situations.

As far as I am concerned the Forte line is among the best value that Klipsch ever produced when you factor in foot print, sound which can compete with Cornwall and above. I have owned my forte II since 1992. Although I have made reversible modifications, see below on my user proifile I have never felt the need to upgrade to another Klipsch speaker.

Also, the Quartets would make great rears in a surround sound system.

Good luck!

I can not speak of the Chorus or Forte I's, I have had the series 2 of both and preferred the Chorus. I have played around with both sets before selling the Fortes. What I might expect to be a plus for the Chorus 1s is the absence of the passive radiator making placement less picky. What I would say about the Quartets is the wonderful mids and the tractix horn. The bass is certainly no slouch either and can be padded with a sub if needed.

I have Forte's, Forte ll's and Chorus ll's and IMO the Chorus ll can do everything the Forte can do and more of it. I love them both but if you were splitting hairs the Chorus ll will come out on top.

Edit: I just realized you were wondering between the Chorus l and Forte l not a Chorus ll. I could see how the Forte l with the passive radiator might be smoother than the Chorus l with the ported cabinet. I've never heard Chorus l's, all of my versions have the passive radiator.

Thanks for the suggestions, they're helpful. I've decided to go with the Fortes. My listening room is basically a 20' by 20' square room, and I think the Chorus might be a little too big for that. Though I really think I would like the bass ports. Anyway, I don't think I could go wrong with either.

I'm picking them up this afternoon. I can't wait. When it comes to Klipsch I've had KG 4.5s and Heresys. I really like both, but I can't deal with the lack of bass in the Heresys.

I'll be playing these Fortes with a Fisher 400 and a Sansui 9090. Two totally different receivers, I know. I can't wait to hear the Fortes with the Fisher.

Wow, I'm really happy with these speakers. They're strong contenders for my favorites. I love the big soundstage. And lots of nice detail. This evening I've been a/b-ing them with my Infinity QJRs. Quite different speakers, I know. I've become used to the delicate highs of the QJRs EMIT tweeter and I was worried that the Fortes' treble might be too harsh. I did notice some exagerated, almost distorted, sibilance in some recordings with the Fortes, but I think that was due to poor recordings. The Fortes don't go as low as the QJRs, but their bass has a certain redeeming character I can't exacly put my finger on.

Anyway, yes I do indee love them. I want to install the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, I've read so many good things about them. Can anyone suggest where I should order them from? From Bob Crites's website?

The diaphrams and crossovers will definately smooth out the Forte's. Didn't see what amp you're using, but Adcoms, in my experience, are bright. IMO, what works best with Klipsch are powerful mellow sounding amps. If it doesn't have enough clean juice the bass will suffer. If it's too bright or brittle (British sounding to me), then the Klipschs' will exagerate it. These are just very generalities based on my own experience though. Bob has everything you need at his site. Super nice to deal with and you know you'll be getting a super product.

Edit: I see ...a Fisher. Experiment with different amps if possible to see what happens with the bass and highs. Klipschs' really will reveal how different amps sound.

LOL. Guess I should explain.....I play guitar, and I've always associated bright sounding as a "British" sound. I think it has more to do with EL34 tubes (OK...valves!) compared to 6L6's of most "American" (guitar) amps. I do realize we were talking about (consumer) SS amps. It's just that I associate that brightness as being more British and less Americana. Sorry if that confused anyone.

I love the direct question asked here, and I especially love the responses, which, by the way, was overwhelmingly in favor of Forte I. I would own any Heritage Klipsch, I am fully drinking the Kool-Aid, and I love my Fortes so much that I would have to be offered CRAZY money to part with them. That said, I'm sure that those with crazy money to spend would never value them highly enough to warrant placing a premium on a pair. I am realistic after all. I got mine for a pittance, and I was lucky I had an extra $300 in my wallet that day. I happened upon mine when shopping for a Craigslist HK 430. That and a Sansui 8080DB changed the way I listen to music in a drastic way. I now have three excellent turntables to swap in and out, 13,000 flac, 200 LP's, 200 CD's, 1000+ cassettes, and 3000 mp3's to groove on, and more than enough time and space to enjoy it all. I'm thrilled to see my gear so highly-touted, when I peruse high-end gear and lament the fact that I may never rise above the level I'm at. I was just as thrilled to learn how highly-regarded and popular my Sansui was in its heyday as well. Tubes? Another mountain to climb. I have my walking shoes on, I hope I can eventually find the right place to jump in that allows me enough satisfaction to avoid the excessive outlay, and enough good advice to avoid too much tube rolling and swapping out components in search of audio nirvana. When the Sansui and the Fortes entered my life I could have said enough's enough, but the upgrade bug is still knawing at me to move into tubes, with the recommendation of how well tubes synergize with Klipsch. I'll report back when/if I make the transition. Thanks to all here for your expert commentary. I feel like my Fortes have turned me into a true audiophile despite their modest (to me) cost.

Chorus is more effecient and likely has slightly lower distortion. The difference is between 32hz and 39hz but your correct the Forte has a little more lower end.

Chorus II

• BUILT FROM:

• BUILT UNTIL:

• CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
    HF 5,000 Hz<br>LF 600 Hz

• DIMENSIONS:
    39" (99.06cm) x 18.5" (46.99cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm)

• ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
    Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

• ENCLOSURE TYPE:
    Bass reflex via passive radiator

• FINISHES:
    Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black

• FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    39Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB

• HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
    90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn

• MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
    121dB SPL

• MID FREQUENCY HORN:
    90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn

• MIDRANGE:
    K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms

• POWER HANDLING:
    100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

• SENSITIVITY:
    101dB @ 1watt/1meter

• TWEETER:
    K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver

• WEIGHT:
    89 lbs. (40.4kg)

• WOOFER:
    K-48-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite
    cone active / KD-16 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive
Forte II

• BUILT FROM:

• BUILT UNTIL:

• CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
    HF 7,000 Hz<br>LF 650 Hz

• DIMENSIONS:
    35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.9cm) x 12.25" (31.1cm)

• ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
    Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

• ENCLOSURE TYPE:
    Bass reflex via passive radiator

• FINISHES:
    Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black

• FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB

• HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
    90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn

• MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
    119dB SPL

• MID FREQUENCY HORN:
    90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn

• MIDRANGE:
    K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms

• POWER HANDLING:
    100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)

• SENSITIVITY:
    99dB @ 1watt/1meter

• TWEETER:
    K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver

• WEIGHT:
    67 lbs. (30.42kg)

• WOOFER:
    K-25-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite
    cone active / KD-15 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive

I've got to choose between a pair of Chorus 1s and Forte 1s.

Between the Forte II and chorus II I would agree with you but he is talking about the Chorus 1s( bass 45)and Forte 1s(bass 32).

I have not compared the Forte 1s to the Chorus 1s but I have compared the Forte 1s to a pair of La Scalas I owned and the Fortes bass was much better than the La Scalas.

I've decided to go with the Fortes. My listening room is basically a 20' by 20' square room, and I think the Chorus might be a little too big for that. Though I really think I would like the bass ports. Anyway, I don't think I could go wrong with either.

I would have gone with the Chorus, but the Fortes will still be great speakers.

The Chorus wouldn't have been too much for that size of room. I have LaScalas in a 13 x 21 room and love them. Having a pair of Chorus in there would give ME more room, but ... any Klipsch speaker makes me smile. [;)]

Bruce