Amplifier suggestions

kegaroony

My Harmon Kardon AVR 354 just crapped out on me, and I'm looking to replace it. Just purchased a pair of RF 82's with a RC 52 centre. Anyone have suggestions for a receiver for me? I really thought my 354 was under powered for my speakers. I'm leaning towards Denon's AVR-1912 right now, as if fits my price range. Looking to spend $400-$700. My concerns with the Denon is that it doesnt upscale to 1080P, but now that my 354 is done, im running my hi def sat receiver straight to the tv, and I cant tell the difference. You guys think upscaling is worth it?

upscaling is nice, but isn't necessary - especially if your TV or blu-ray player handles that function. Most sat/cable HD broadcasts are 1080i. Ultimately, if your eyes can't tell the difference, your brain shouldn't waste the energy worrying about it. ;)

I'm a big fan of Denon and Marantz products and cant find any glaring issues with the model you suggested.

Definately not saying that I cant tell the difference from 1080i to 1080p, what I'm saying is that my avr354 upscaled my sat receiver to 1080p, and now that its hooked directly to my tv I cant tell the difference. But my blu ray in 1080p was a huge difference. Just not sure if upscaling actually takes 1080i and make it into true 1080p resolution.

1080i and 1080p are both High Definition display formats for HDTVs.
1080i and 1080p signals actually contain the same information. Both
1080i and 1080p represent a 1920x1080 pixel resolution (1,920 pixels
across the screen by 1,080 pixels down the screen). The difference
between 1080i and 1080p is in the way the signal is sent from a source
component or displayed on an HDTV screen.

In 1080i each frame of video is sent or displayed in alternative fields.
The fields in 1080i are composed of 540 rows of pixels or lines of
pixels running from the top to the bottom of the screen, with the odd
fields displayed first and the even fields displayed second. Together,
both fields create a full frame, made up of all 1,080 pixel rows or
lines, every 30th of a second.

In 1080p, each frame of video is sent or displayed progressively. This
means that both the odd and even fields (all 1,080 pixel rows or pixel
lines) that make up the full frame are displayed together. This results
in a smoother looking image, with less motion artifacts and jagged
edges.

Awesome explanation. I knew a little about 1080p, but thats by far the best non techy explanation I've heard. Thank you so much. Anyone else have receiver suggestions for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I listed my speakers, heres what else I'm running if it makes any difference.

TV 55 ins Samsung 750 series

Polk Audio psw125 12 ins sub

160gb PS3 slim

WD Live TV Hub

4 polk audio satellites for surround

Excellent question, as I'm looking for a receiver at the moment and am seriously considering the Denon AVR-1912 as well. I like the airplay function for my iPhone since I don't have Apple TV. Here's what I'm trying to set up:

-New TV yet to be purchased...will be 1080p and probably 3D.

-RF-7i fronts with RC-64i center

-XBOX 360

To be used 50/50 music and cable/movies. I'll add in surrounds as the cash comes in. My issue is that I may want to add an Emotiva XPA-2 at some point, and I can't find anywhere if the AVR-1912 has preouts for an amp.

Sorry to piggyback on your thread Kegaroony, but I'd welcome some suggestions too.

I just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 and am very happy with it. It will upgrade to 1080p and does have AirPlay too. It also has an internet tuner so you can listen to internet radio from around the globe if you connect it to your home internet connection. If you have lots of money and want even better amps you can go for the SC-57 or SC-55.

You can look at all these receivers on Pioneers web site.

Anyone have suggestions for a receiver for me? I really thought my 354 was under powered for my speakers. I'm leaning towards Denon's AVR-1912 right now

If you think your HK 354 was under powered you will be very disappointed by the Denon 1912. I own a Denon, so does my buddy. We both switched to HK models and it was night and day. HK under rates their watts. I'd put the HK 354 up against the Denon 1912 any day of the week - not an upgrade IMO. I have yet to hear a musical Denon or a Denon with bass that isn't paper thin. If your budget is $500-$600 I dont think you can beat the HK 3600 at Amazon for $500 right now. My buddy just got one and it flat out rocks.

• Moderators

If your budget is $500-$600 I dont think you can beat the HK 3600 at Amazon for $500 right now. My buddy just got one and it flat out rocks.

I was totally looking at the HK3600 for $500. From everything I read, it looks like a rock solid receiver for both HT and 2ch. I love the HK sound and yes, they are definitely underrated in their wattage.

I ended up going with the Emotiva UMC-1 and there is still part of me that wishes I could compare it with the HK3600. This hobby just never ends does it. [;)]

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Probably should've mentioned I am in Canada. Amazon.ca has the HK 3600 for $1000. Looks like a solid receiver, but my faith in HK has gone down hill ever since my 354 blew on me. I've changed my mind on the denon. Looking at the Pioneer vsx-1021. Anyone have any experience with this receiver? At 120 watts per channel with all the options including air play for $599 CDN I think its the best value from what I can see. Think I'm gonna go grab that today.

Going from HK to a low end Denon or Pioneer is something I would not even consider.That said the Pioneer would certainly be better than a low end Denon but either is not gonna sound like the HK.Now....you may be burned out on HK or just wanting something different, I would consider a better quality used unit (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer etc..) vs a lower end new unit.That said.....the Pioneer is about $300 here, for that price it's worth it.

I have a 354 hooked to 83's and it goes loud enough you could not even communicate with a person standing right beside you(16x23x8 room), I had it hooked to 82II's and it still was pretty loud.I have a Carver 5ch amp just setting there that I've never felt the need to hook up, yet.....