garyeanderson

I bought these Klipschorns because they were a good deal, I
had a pair and didn't need them but I was in the middle of building ported
lascala clones and wanted the components. When they arrive home they were found
to sound nice and the water damage wasn't that bad. I fixed them up a bit and
had the dilemma of what to do. So I use them both, the clone lascala have the
crite's cast frame woofers, the Klipschorns are stock except for the TSCM style
enclosures for the backs. Both khorn and lascala play at the same time on
occasions when the need arises. There is also a Belle doing center duty now. The
lascala clones are just a bass bin at the moment and there is no inductor to
cut off the highs so they roll off on their own, I do not find this to be a
problem with a full splitter and corner reflectors. Anyone else run out of room
and stack them in front?

post-42841-13819666253636_thumb.jpg

There's a brochure on re-enforced sound and basically suggest there's an optimal placement for the various industrial models based on sound pattern blind spots. There's also other material in the general industry that talks about stacking drivers. So in essence, your approach actually incorporates different concepts used in the general audio industry.

I run K'horns with a pair of Heresy's "stacked". Over the years, I tried several "combos". You really have to play with it in the room.

One of the things I believe really makes your setup work are the TSCM backs as they will make the first order bass more directional and drive it past the LaScalas, using the LS's as a reflective wall.

I run K'horns with a pair of Heresy's "stacked". Over the years, I tried several "combos". You really have to play with it in the room.

One of the things I believe really makes your setup work are the TSCM backs as they will make the first order bass more directional and drive it past the LaScalas, using the LS's as a reflective wall.

So the bass as it exits the tscm style bin, uses the wall of the lacala clone as wall extension before the bifurcated bass rejoins just past the lascala mouth?

I have tried to "aim" the TSCM style bins, moved them forward into the room (18 x 18 x 7' 6") to shorten the depth of the room. had the lascala clones in the opposite corners (didn't work at all), and a few others too. All but the opposite corners worked to some extent but this seems as good as any.

Apparently that works; I made a pair of TSCM type false corners and experimented with Belles and LS's infront. No problems; it was just the space issues, thus went back to the stacker solution (which takes experimentation as the distance from the front edge of the K'horn top is very critical).

With the TSCM backs, I would suspect that you need to be at least 12' away for the bifurcation to be truly overcome.

When I played around with the TSCM backs, the bass became very "directional". Since I like the "near field" "small room" type of array (Wall of Voodoo), it was impractical at the relativel short distances I was dealing with.

• 2 weeks later...