Issue with Marantz 2226B

I have a 2226B in nice physical condition. When I got it it had some noisy controls so I took some deoxit to them and they all cleared up nicely. There is still one issue that it has though, when using the AUX, Tape 1, Tape 2 inputs I will lose clean sound out of the left channel after 10~30 minutes. The sound will fade away and become extremely scratchy.

If I am using the main in input both channels work properly for as long as I listen to it.

Any ideas? I am assuming that I will need to take it in to a technition but I am hoping there is something else I can do to fix it.

The pushbutton switches in Marantz 22XX series receivers are notorius for problems. They CAN be cleaned and restored to full functionality (most of the time) but it requires that the switches be removed and disassembled for proper cleaning. That's a pretty significant job though. Lots of little parts that tend to fly everywhere if you're not careful. Yea... Ask me how I know that.

There's a pretty good tutorial over at audiokarma.org (in the Marantz area) about disassembling the switches for cleaning. BUT... Unless you're really REALLY comfortable with that level of work I'd just take it to a tech for repair. Be warned though... A lot of the Marantz switches are built out of a product known as unobtanium. Sometimes the only choice is removal and re-build and a lot of techs simply won't take the time to do that level of service.

NOTE: I have a 2270 and have had all 13 pushbutton switches out for disassembly and cleaning. It's NOT a job I would recommend to someone without a LOT of experience digging around in the guts of electronic devices.

Good luck to you. The 2226B is a very nice receiver and well worth the effort it takes to make it 100%.

A fix which "may" work is to remove the buttons from the switch shafts, stand the receiver up vertically on its back, and let some Deoxit (using the bottle version with the long tube attached) run down the shafts into the switch housings. Doing that, and working the switches multiple times, may restore operation. Certainly worth a try.

A fix which "may" work is to remove the buttons from the switch shafts, stand the receiver up vertically on its back, and let some Deoxit (using the bottle version with the long tube attached) run down the shafts into the switch housings. Doing that, and working the switches multiple times, may restore operation. Certainly worth a try.

So I got the marantz back on the bench and removed the bottom cover to be able to get at the input selector switch. I found a couple of blocks to rest it on so that I didn't damage the antenna got out my deoxit and got about a full seconds worth of spray out of it before it ran out :(

I will get more and try again. The can I bought I got from Radioshack and came in a set with some deoxit gold. Both cans look to be wekk under an oz each. I wish they carried the regular sized cans and not just the hobby, basically single use cans.

The teeninesy cans of DeoxIT from Rat Shack are a total rip off. Simply no other way to put it. Even paying the somewhat inflated shipping from Parts Express the cans that they sell are a MUCH better deal.

Gee... Let's see... a 5 oz can of DeoxIT from P-E is ~$12 and a 5 oz can of DeoxIT Gold is ~$21.00. Ground shipping to me is $14.21 (HUH?) for a total of $46.57 or $4.66 per ounce. The Rat Shack product is $16.00 per oz for 1/2 oz each of the same stuff. Pretty easy choice to me.

Good luck with your repair

The teeninesy cans of DeoxIT from Rat Shack are a total rip off. Simply no other way to put it. Even paying the somewhat inflated shipping from Parts Express the cans that they sell are a MUCH better deal.

Gee... Let's see... a 5 oz can of DeoxIT from P-E is ~$12 and a 5 oz can of DeoxIT Gold is ~$21.00. Ground shipping to me is $14.21 (HUH?) for a total of $46.57 or $4.66 per ounce. The Rat Shack product is $16.00 per oz for 1/2 oz each of the same stuff. Pretty easy choice to me.

Good luck with your repair

Yeah, I won't be buying that little package again. When I did buy them I figured that it would be all that I needed to get the job done. Well after cleaning my receiver I decided to clean my parents old Marantz PM225. It wasn't until after I went back into mine that I ran out[8o|] Oh well at least I get to use the pm225 until I get more deoxit for the 2226. I am just going to buy the big can and be done with it. It really is amazing how good this works.

I got another chance to go after the input selector switch. I hosed her down much more than last time and worked the switch for another 30 or 40 times from far left to far right. I put the bottom panel back on and brought it back inside to test it out. I waited a couple of hours to make sure the residual deoxit had time to evaporate and fired her back up.

FM - Sound from both channels, no issues.

AM - no issues

AUX - Stereo sound for a few minutes and then lost left channel, same issue as before.

Tape 1 - same as AUX but sometimes it is right channel that cuts out. If right cuts out then left still works

Tape 2 - no issues

Main In - no issues

With the issues I have had with the AUX and Tape 1 inputs they are not constant. I can change inputs and return to the desired input and the issue will go away but then it comes back later. I am assuming the switch is failing and it is just a matter of time until it fails completely.

Any last words of advice? If anything I will just enjoy it until I can get it to a good tech for a professional lookover and cleaning. This 2226 is a great size and when I bought it I was planning on using for a long time.

I have one other question about this unit. If I connect my CD player to the AUX input and then change it to the Main Input the volume output is nearly twice as loud. Even though it is louder I know that it is not nearly as loud as if I were to turn the volume all the way to "10".

Just curious what it is that is setting the amp circuits output when the unit is being used as an amp only.

Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving