Question for all the turntable guru's

xi-razorback

As the tonearm on my Rega RP3 gets closer to the center of the platter hum noise increases. It's loud enough that you know something is not right. When the tonearm is at rest, there is no audible hum at all. It is hooked up to a Rogue Cronus. The cartridge is the Elys2.

All the wiring is pretty clean. Source cables and power cables are seperated etc. All is plugged into the same surge protector. CD and TT are the only sources hooked up to the amp. Turntable sits on a wooden shelf above the amp, about 10 or 12 inches above it. This is a new problem, the TT hasn't always done this.

Any thoughts?????

• Like 1

Yeah... I read something somewhere at sometime about this. let me see if I can find it.

it had something to do with some electromagnetic field or something like such, the further in the arm gets, the great the interference.

I found something... having to do with an unshielded cart. I do believe the elys is unshielded.

take a look at this thread having to do with VPI's

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=33522

I bet it is your same issue, unshielded coils.

I'm glad I avoided Rega for this very reason. I had many reviews to pore over, and while some touted the durability of the various Regas and the quality of the entry level RP1, one thing kept coming up, and that was the fact that certain carts tended to hum on the Rega TT's. I avoid tweaky components like the plague, as I have only limited funds to pursue my hobby and attempt to get the best bang for the buck as I can, as often as possible. I seek expert advice, I don't have tons of money to move up into the higher-end stuff, and a look at my sig will show you that I have a lot of stuff and very little in the repair pile (maybe 1% at the most, maybe 2 or 3 pieces total). This has me VERY satisfied with the due diligence I've done to avoid these kinds of mistakes, and although I key on vintage out of necessity (financial concerns), I have very few breakdowns, by and large. Avoiding Rega has given me an edge in the TT department, and I have 4 that are definite keepers, with original carts that are time tested and true performers. I love my hobby, and my gear list reflects my meticulous attention paid to quality and long-lasting, economical offerings. I love this country!