Amp choices for Forte II's

losmorob

First post and setting up a 2 channel system with a pair of Forte II's I recently purchased. I've played around with a few amp units I have on hand;

Vintage Yamaha CR-802 receiver. Something like 60w a channel. Bass clips at higher volume. Too bad as it's a cool looking vintage unit.

Mid 80's JVC RX-6008V. My 5.1 receiver for home theater. Set for two channel when sampling the Forte's. Rated at 100w a channel, so I gave it a try. Better, but still lacing the bass I like. Overloaded at higher volume.

Older JVC 2 channel amp. AX-S95. Had it in my shop. Better, handles the speakers. Nice built in equalizer. Still not "dynamic" and lacking bass.

Initially I was not shopping for Klipsch. But it's the usual "older guy always wanted a pair when I was younger" thing that got me to spend the $$ on a nice used pair. I'm loving the accuracy of the speakers. Jazz and singing voice response is very impressive. But I also like the higher volume stuff. I want to wake these bad boys up. My music tastes range from Louis Prima to Chick Corea to Pink Floyd.

Radio function is not required as I'm also setting up a turntable and headed back down the vinyl road once again. But I also have a s*^%load of mp3 I will be playing so an aux connection is required.

New crossover cap kits are ordered from Critte's and will be here next week.

I realize I'm not going to get the multi speaker separate sub response from a two channel system. But I know I can do better.

I know, do a search. I have and it's a bit overwhelming.

I seem to be leaning more towards SS vs tubes just for the convenience factor.

What should I be looking for? New and used. I'm looking at the $500 range, but am open for suggestions. Best bang for the buck for the Forte II's. Something that really gets these beauties singing.

Thanks!!!!!!

I am not familiar the Yamaha model you have but I have found older Yamaha stuff to be an excellent match for Klipsch speakers. I own a nice CA-1010 that can run in Class A and it does the job quite nicely when asked with no problems well beyond listening levels I want to be around. Maybe there is something wrong with your receiver? If you really want to upgrade the sound, my old Fortes sounded fantastic with a simple 20 watt tube amp.

Hola losmorob-

Sounds like you have a sizeable room or like to blast it.

Outlaw RR2150 kind of stretches the budget, but would be ideal. Also check out the HK 3490, which is actually under budget. I suspect either of these would have better bass than what you've gotten so far. Both have digi inputs of some sort, which is kind of useful nowadays. Both are conservatively rated, and can drive fortes quite sufficiently.

I use NAD and give it the thumbs up too.

Sounds like you have a sizeable room or like to blast it.

Yes and yes.

I can see where the horn(s) sections of these speakere do not require a lot of power. But the sub and passive seem to be begging for more. The HK sounds interesting. I'm wondering if it's enough to make them "thump". (when needed) I wish it had a variable loudness like the Yamaha does. No loudness control at all.

There may be issues with the Yamaha as I bought it locally and had to replace the power on/off switch and all the lights. I have hooked it up to some mid '70's Sansui speakers with no clipping issues.

I'll second the outlaw receiver. Hard to beat for $699 and it has a sub out, phono, Ipod in, etc...

•State-of-the-art stereo receiver inspired by the art deco table radios of the past

•High performance FM Stereo/FM/AM tuner

•Multiple inputs with separate record output bus

•USB input for playback of streaming audio output from compatible computers

•High quality phono input for both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges

•Processor/equalizer loop

•The only stereo receiver with a subwoofer output that includes selectable, analog bass management

•Front
panel "speaker equalization" selector adds a half-octave of bass boost
at a choice of frequencies to improve performance with compact bookshelf
speakers

•Headphone jack with level control

•Front panel stereo mini-jack input for easy connection to portable devices such as iPod®

•Tone control defeat

•Precision, motorized volume control

•A/B Speaker Output

•Pre-Out/Main-In connections

•IR In/Out jacks

•Removable IEC style power cord

•Multi-device, programmable remote control

2150Per.jpg

Everything you need it a modern 2 channel receiver! Here is the link ------> CLICK HERE

Also, I think once you update the Caps. the bass will come back! Everything should "Clear up" some.

Welcome and Congratulations losmorob, we're glad you're here! [<:o)]

Dennie

Great feedback guys. As I narrow my choices, I'm leaning towards an amp/pre amp set up. If I can find the right combination for the right price. I like having some kind of presence or loudness control and I just can't see spending the $$ for AM/FM that I will never listen to. No sub outputs wanted, so I would think I can find something that meets my simple needs but with a lot of power. A 2 channel with a phono and aux I can run my iPhone through with some tonal control and I will be a happy camper.

I'm in no hurry, half the fun is doing the research and receiving feedback from folks like you. My next step is the caps this week and I will see where I'm at after that.

Additional comments are very welcome and more news to come from my end.

You can always check the bay for some N.A.D. there are great reviews matched with Heritage line I am sure they sound great with Forte IIs I have the Forte 1 with a older Kenwood amp and a passive pre, sounds good but not the best pre. I would like to try tubed pre some day but I have to many audio hobbies I bounce around with.

Good luck with the search. Have some fun. And welcome.

Duder.

Haven't heard it myself but I've read about the Emotiva USP-1 many times here and its always a favorable review. Don't think it has a loudness option though.

Welcome. Helping others spend their money wisely.....that's us.

Edit: Reading this again realizing I recommended a preamp and not an amp. I like the sound of the vintage HK 430 or 730 paired with Forte II.

Great feedback guys. As I narrow my choices, I'm leaning towards an amp/pre amp set up. If I can find the right combination for the right price. I like having some kind of presence or loudness control and I just can't see spending the $$ for AM/FM that I will never listen to. No sub outputs wanted, so I would think I can find something that meets my simple needs but with a lot of power. A 2 channel with a phono and aux I can run my iPhone through with some tonal control and I will be a happy camper.

I'm in no hurry, half the fun is doing the research and receiving feedback from folks like you. My next step is the caps this week and I will see where I'm at after that.

Additional comments are very welcome and more news to come from my end.

The Yamaha variable loudness is indeed handy for dialing down the midrange. I have an old Yamaha and liked it with my fortes specifically for that feature. Yamaha's current stereo integrated amps still have it, but on the $/watt scale are more expensive than the HK and Outlaw mentioned before. If you can't live without the variable loudness, keep an eye on the used market for a more powerful Yamaha integrated.

I think that once you get into some serious power (i.e. the Outlaw, used NAD, a bigger used Yammie, Emotiva amps, etc) and upgrade those caps/tweets, that your desire for variable loudness will diminish greatly. The bass will seem bigger and stronger, which results in a more neutral freq balance to the sound with no processing needed. I used to use the Yamaha, but now use vintage NAD and haven't looked back.

I am running a NAD 2600 amp with mine. You can come across one reasonably priced on Audiogon or the bay. It is 150 WPC. However, my favorite amp to drive these speakers is a recently acquired custom built 5 watt tube amp. It is amazing how much sound these speakers put out with so few watts.

first you say "What should I be looking for? New and used. I'm looking at the $500 range, but am open for suggestions. Best bang for the buck for the Forte II's. Something that really gets these beauties singing. Thanks!!!!!! "

Later you post that you're thinking about separates cause you don't want to pay for a tuner??? If you want to go separates, your initial budget is blown.

Get the RR2150. That unit is all the Fortes need or want. You will be happy.

Not sure how much help I can be but I'll offer my advice anyway. I have a set of Forte II's and love them. I sold my cornwalls and have not looked back as for me they a perfect for my listening room. This was my approach when I had the cornwalls. I bought a little Dayton Audio DTA-100a T-Amp and boy was I surprised and how well this thing performs, I hooked my iPod straight to it via the rear rya inputs. I bought this so I could listen to the cornwalls and save some cash in the audio fund for a better amp and a pre. I ended up buying a Juicy Music PEACH pre from a fellow forum member and a McInosh 2105 as the amp. I can tell you I will never part with either as this combination has worked very well for me and my Forte II's. I hope your journey is as rewarding as mine has been.

Jerry

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit flakey in what I'm looking for. But the feedback here has helped narrow things down.

I'm CURRENTLY (could change at any moment!) leaning towards finding a used NAD 2600 and a pre-amp set up. I still think with some searching I could fall within my budget.

Ran across a Sasaui A-717 amp and matching equalizer at the local thrift shop. 150 for the amp and 75 for the equalizer. Seems a little steep. I may go back and offer them less. 85W a channel. I was looking for a bit more oomph, but I have heard good things about this unit. Boy, it sure is a heavy brute!

Got my cap's kit from Bob Crites today. They shorted me two caps!! 4 days off and I was looking forward to the project. Can I get away with just doing one speaker for now?

(still trying to figure it all out) Rob

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit flakey in what I'm looking for. But the feedback here has helped narrow things down.

I'm CURRENTLY (could change at any moment!) leaning towards finding a used NAD 2600 and a pre-amp set up. I still think with some searching I could fall within my budget.

Ran across a Sasaui A-717 amp and matching equalizer at the local thrift shop. 150 for the amp and 75 for the equalizer. Seems a little steep. I may go back and offer them less. 85W a channel. I was looking for a bit more oomph, but I have heard good things about this unit. Boy, it sure is a heavy brute!

Got my cap's kit from Bob Crites today. They shorted me two caps!! 4 days off and I was looking forward to the project. Can I get away with just doing one speaker for now?

(still trying to figure it all out) Rob

Hey Rob, Sure you can do one speaker at a time. It will give you a "before and after" evaluation. Also, if you haven't done it already, email or call Bob. He's good people to do business with!

...and don't worry, we're "still trying to figure it all out" also! [;)]

Dennie

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update. I picked up some early 80's Onkyo stuff on Craigslist for $200. Looks like the remains of an "all in one" system so popular then.

It's not top quality, but at 150w a channel and decent specs, it sounds pretty darn good. Woke up the Forte II's real nice.

M-5160 amp

P-3160 Pre amp

EQ-140 Equalizer

T-4120 Tuner

Good stuff for now. But I'm always on the lookout for something else. (Sansui 9090 DB comes to mind!)

Does this ever stop? [;)]

Edit; Forgot to update re-capping the speakers. Crisper with a bit more punch. Worth it. I'm also on Bob's list to let me know when he gets more tweeter diaphragms in.

I also snagged a nice full auto Technics quartz turntable at the local Goodwill for $20. Sweet!

Losmorob,

Welcome to the forum.

I picked up some early 80's Onkyo stuff on Craigslist for $200. Looks like the remains of an "all in one" system so popular then.

It's not top quality, but at 150w a channel and decent specs, it sounds pretty darn good.

M-5160 amp

P-3160 Pre amp

EQ-140 Equalizer

T-4120 Tuner

I think Jhoak on the forum had that setup once.

I am a big fan of 80's and 90's Onkyo Integra and Denon gear. They really made some good sounding gear back then. Those two decades are where Onkyo and Denon were still true to their roots in hifi stereo before the highly profitable HT craze hit and they changed direction.

Woke up the Forte II's real nice.

My feelings exactly. My Denon integrateds and my Onkyo A-9711 integrated sound wonderful with my Fortes, Quartets, Heresys, and Heresy II's.

Aren't those dancing meters on your M-5160 cool?

Does this ever stop? Wink

No.[:)]

Bill