No crossover on AVR for sub?

Dingman

Rats, typed long reply and then lost it.

At any rate, the AVR is the Marantz SR-4023.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR4023

EDIT: LOL, found this in the description of the unit on the website...

"A separate low-pass preamp output lets you add the powered subwoofer of your choice as well. "

You'd think I could find where the low-pass is set at, eh?

No mention of a low pass filter when I did a search of the owners manual. You could e-mail Marantz I suppose. However, since the KLF-20s aren't high passed, IMO your best option is to set your subwoofer's crossover to the KLF-20's -3dB point (34Hz). You would also want to play with the phase to make sure that your mains and subwoofer are working together.

This is a case of simply letting the stereo speakers have full bandwidth and augmenting the sound with a subwoofer, as your mains must not have the low frequency extension to get low enough to your liking. The answer is, just set the knobs on the subwoofer to suit your taste. I usually start around 70 Hz or so, and work my way down. Adjust the gain on the sub and you are done. If you ind it not to your liking, just adjust the knobs till you get it right. Anybody who has a regular stereo receiver and uses a sub has to do this. Yours has a line out, which means you will get cleaner bass than speaker level outs.