How to use analog signal processors with my AVR?

Mike 585

I'm looking for some help determining how to add some signal processing equipment to one of my systems. I would like to use a 3BX with my Yamaha RX-V1600. The 3BX works fine in the tape monitor loop of my Mac C26 in another system but it doesn't work when inserted between pre-out and pre-in on the Yamaha, even though the DBX manual says this is an acceptible hook-up option. Additionally, I'm looking at purchasing an ART 355 equalizer and am concerned I'll encounter the same problem.

I assume the issue must have to do with providing the proper signal characteristics. I've looked at the published spec's of all these components but don't have enough electronics knowledge to utilize the info. Can someone please shed some light on this and further my education?

Thanks,

Mike

Unless your Yamaha receiver has pre-out / main in jacks, you will not be able to conveniently use any analog processor with it unless you add an outboard amp. Most AV receivers have only pre-outs, so the best option is to get an external power amp and connect your EQ and/or dynamic range expander between that and the receiver, although you will quite probably notice a scrim of hiss. The only other option is to use an external source selector. You could connect the analog 2-channel output from your source components to that and then connect the signal processor in between the ext. source selector and any line-level analog input on the receiver. Your built-in tuner and any digital outputs will be off the menu! I know: neither option is ideal.

The Yamaha has both pre out and main or amp in but the DBX doesn't behave properly when inserted there. I believe the pre out signal is not as the DBX is designed to receive, wrong impedence, too much voltage or whatever. I just don't understand the electronics of it to know what to look for.

here's the manual

www.dbxpro.com/product_downloads/.../dbx_3BX-DS_Manual.pdf

The only way I can think of to make this work would be such a cluge that I don't even want to reciet it. The dynamic range of the 3bx is so close to normal ditigal that putting in two devices to make it work would suck up any real benifets of using it.

The Yamaha has both pre out and main or amp in but the DBX doesn't behave properly when inserted there. I believe the pre out signal is not as the DBX is designed to receive, wrong impedence, too much voltage or whatever. I just don't understand the electronics of it to know what to look for.

I don't think the dbx devices like having any EQ going on ahead of them. That could make them misbehave. Is the signal going out the pre-outs flat, or has EQ or any other DSP been applied by the Yamaha?

The signal is leaving the amp with dsp. The LCR channels go to Marantz MA-500s.

I don't really need/want to to get the DBX in the loop but I very much want to get an equalizer in the chain so I can work on some annoying room modes. The simplistic eq built into the Yamaha isn't versatile enough to be much help and I'm not impressed with Yamaha's auto parametric correction. I'm looking at the ART equalizer because it's the only one I've seen that has RCA in/out.

You've probably already tried it in "direct" mode or whatever Yamaha calls their pure, unprocessed mode. Maybe that's strictly 2-channel / no subs...that's how some receivers are. Not sure about Yamaha. I think that's about the best you can hope for: 2-channel direct into the dbx and/or EQ, w/ no receiver dsp applied. If that doesn't work...[*-)]

I don't think the dbx devices like having any EQ going on ahead of them. That could make them misbehave. Is the signal going out the pre-outs flat, or has EQ or any other DSP been applied by the Yamaha?

I know this at least used to be true, and may still be. My old DBXs were so sensitive to receiving anything other than a flat signal that a couple of minor 3 dB anomalies in a Teak 3340s tape recorder (so called "head bumps") drove the DBXs wild --- pumping, etc. When I changed to a Crown recorder that was essentially flat (~~ +/- 1 dB) the DBXs worked fine, and I freely applied playback EQ after the DBX loop.