Plasma or LED?

kde

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies! Terrific information (that I trust -- appreciate all the viewpoints). Nice that I was able to post this quickly at work and come home to have knowledge to make a decision.

I passed on a few deals yesterday during Cyber Monday to not make a rush decision. I'm thinking that these same deals will surface around Christmas and Super Bowl. My TV will be in a well lighted room with a wall of windows. The other thing I will consider is that this set up will be viewed by many angles as it will be in an open living room (the second unit will be a more traditional setting, but will likely get matching units).

I have a 6 year old Pioneer 50" plasma that has been great, but now thinking about LED for this purchase.

I would stack the pioneer Plasmas and the Panasonic Viera Plasmas up against any LED TV. I have gone from plasma, to led, to DLP to plasma, to DLP to plasma. My next TV will be. DLP. I think now days, as long as you buy one of the top rated sets, you will end up with a killer picture.

There are MANY considerations when looking at flat screen TVs, and your personal preferences and "way of seeing" will influence your decision. I spent a good six weeks combing through all of the potential factors and machines. There isn't a clear cut winner, bt most people will find that they prefer one type vs. the other, especially once shown all of the variables.

PLASMA:

- Tend to work best in dimmer or light controllable rooms.

- Has a distinct advantage in screen uniformity. From corner to corner and across the screen, the screen will appear uniform, with no variances in brightness or focus. Also applies for off angle viewing

- Has a "filmlike" quality to it, which will attract people who love the cinema.

- Motion is a mixed bag. While plasmas run at a higher rate for motion processing, the phosphor trailing (dots trailing off of the back of an image in motion, which negates much of the benefit of the higher rate) can be a problem. Also complicating matters is the issue of color gradient, which is the set's ability to show varying shades of a given color. This is particularly prevalent when showing a spherical image, or color panels which show a varying shade of a given color across wide areas of the screen....and also during motion. A primer on color gradient (which is also related to another issue called "posterization") is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

- Plasma sets can appear "dim" to the viewer in certain environments, and can have a "flicker" that some people are sensitive to. Whites and contrast usually are "turned up" in a calibration to make them appear brighter and with better contrast.

- Plasmas do consume more power, and usually consume even a bit more once calibrated. A 55" will often consume 300 watts when calibrated in 2D mode, and even more in 3D. A 60" can consume up to 500 watts calibrated and in 3D (a set will use the most power with high brightness and in 3D).

- Can be prone to image retention, althoiugh they are all said to be better on this in recent years. Still an issue, but not a much as it used to be.

LED (which is nothing more than an LCD with LED backlight)......

- Are much brighter, and recommended in rooms with varying light conditions or in brighter rooms

- Use less power. A 55" uses 125-150 watts in typical use when calibrated, and maybe 170 with 3D - max. On a plasma, a typical user or calibrator will turn UP the brightness (again, uses more power), on an LED you will find that turning it down is more common (which will take an already power miserly device and make it even more miserly).

- Can have screen uniformity issues.....a HOST of them. The "men" get separated from the "boys" within LED models via how these issues are addressed. Some of the uniformity issues are very evident - like some sets that are visibly "off" in the corners for various reasons, or problems with the backlight shining through the blacks (called "blooming" when found within the screen, "flashlighting" when seen from the screen edges due to backlighting issues).

As a corollary, the backlight setups in LEDs do vary, and will affect how good the set is. One of the current "top dogs" in LED is the Sony HX929, which boasts what is known as "full line array with local dimming". The backlight system runs all along the set in rows, dividing the set into 100+ "zones" which can be independently brightened or dimmed to allow for best performance in scenes which have lots of blacks and whites....or a dark scene that is backlit. The next "step down" are sets that are "edge lit" LED arrays with "regionalized" dimming systems, which usually do well but can be observed "blooming/flashlighting" in certain situations.

- Off angle viewing can be an issue......but it's not always as bad as some reviews or AVS posters claim.

- Motion handling varies set by set. Some are good, some not so good.....but don't think LEDs cannot do sports (Sonys do sports very well, especially the better sets). Also be aware that most sets have adjustments for motion, so you will want to play with those before ruling out a machine.

- LEDs can be prone to what is called "soap opera effect", a "skin-like glow" of the image that can look good in some situations, like cinema, but can look bad when not desired (and is bad on sports, for sure). Many of the better sets aren't so much an issue, lower cost sets can definitely exhibit the problem.

Gamers will deal with the issue of input lag, no matter what set (plasma or LED) they buy.

I must say that there are no "clear winners", just situational bests that can vary by room and user. In plasma, I like the Panasonic ST (great bargain), GT and VT (great set) series best, the upper end Samsung plasmas look good but do run very warm. In LED, I much prefer the Sonys, especially any set that offers the "X Reality Pro" chip (HX729, 820 and 929), as well as the top end Samsungs. I bought the Sony HX729 as my own choice, and don't regret it a bit.

It took me six plus weeks of combing through all of the issues that concerned me, and looking at sets in various stores. I spent many evenings sitting in front of TVs, and getting the settings on these machines out of "torch mode" (which is how TVs are usually set up in showrooms) and into something watchable (and often with recommended settings from AVS). I found that AVS forum was another valuable resource, and while they are definitely over obsessive, they will expose every problem ever seen on these TVs and help weed out the choices. Every major model has been sliced, diced, and fricaseed obsessively so it is a good education. Understand, though that often the problems they state are not as bad or as frequent as that board makes it seem - it's always the "problem sets" and the obsessive posters that suck up the oxygen that can make them seem more frequent or worse. Great place to research online.

Given the level of response to this initial question -- I think this next question may be interesting to ask.

How do you weigh the impact of a nice tv set up versus the sound in a home theater experience? For example... would you rather have a 27" standard tv and a reference surround set up... or a 60" flat screen with no surround sound? I am grateful that I'll have the ability to have both... but wondering which most people would prefer (especially from a Klipsch forum)!

The new tv I just bought for Black Friday has a feature to counter act that "gamer in put lag" Totally works great. I am kinda partial to plasma's because I just love the picture so much. But the weight and fact that I can't game on them without burn in keeps me in the market for LCD's. If my current p[lasma ever goes I will replace with a new plasma with 1080p resolution (don't game in the livingroom).

• one thing to think about is where you purchase from. Big box stores don't have good customer service ussually but they can be a great place to buy a tv. I purchased 3 TV's in the past 10 years from walmart and 4 from best buy. I returned 4 of those 7 TV's within the return period (30-90 days) because I wasn't 100% happy. It's kind of a PITA to rebox everything but it was worth it in the end. The big box stores like that just don't care if you return something. As long as you return on time with a receipt the person at the rerun desk could care less. So it's very helpful to be able to see the TV in your environment with the comfort of knowing that if you aren't 100% happy it's an easy return process.

• Moderators

would you rather have a 27" standard tv and a reference surround set up... or a 60" flat screen with no surround sound?

Tough call. I would have to side on the Reference Surround setup. Here is why....to me, even 60" isn't very large so I don't think I would be wowed by that. The Reference System would indeed provide the wow factor.

I've personally owned that setup myself. I found if I sat 3" from the 19" TV, it was the same effect as watching a 60" TV at 11ft. [:D]

klipsch.jpg

would you rather have a 27" standard tv and a reference surround set up... or a 60" flat screen with no surround sound?

Tough call. I would have to side on the Reference Surround setup. Here is why....to me, even 60" isn't very large so I don't think I would be wowed by that. The Reference System would indeed provide the wow factor.

I've personally owned that setup myself. I found if I sat 3" from the 19" TV, it was the same effect as watching a 60" TV at 11ft. Big Smile

klipsch.jpg

funny! I guess that a large tv and surround sound out rank furniture also!

I would vote for the Sharp 70" 733 LED 240 hz.

I have had it for about a month and I have been extremely happy with it.

3D is cool and all but if you do not need it this tv is the way to go.

The only problem is shows in 480 or less are fairly bad picture.

When you are looking at it in the store it looks like a fairly large tv.

When you get it home and on the wall...Holy crap its huge.

I would say this is the best tv ever but I am just comparing it to my old piece of crap tv I had.

If you have the room one of the Mitsu DLP's would be the way to go.

Thats what I wanted to get but did not have the room.

However I did notice the latest model's had a lot of glare.

I would say for saving energy go with the LED.

For low heat go with the LED.

I basically can not feel any heat coming off of it.

My dad has a cheap lcd-led and it gets fairly warm.

Some one at a store told me once that a 600 hz plasma is about the same as a 120 hz LED?

Im a plasma guy myself. Not fond of the power consumption but the richness of color and black blacks blows away anything else I've seen. There are a lot of inexpensive really horrible looking tv's out there these days. Don't be taken in my cheap prices, you'll likely get inferior product you'll be sorry for later.

Given the level of response to this initial question -- I think this next question may be interesting to ask.

How do you weigh the impact of a nice tv set up versus the sound in a home theater experience? For example... would you rather have a 27" standard tv and a reference surround set up... or a 60" flat screen with no surround sound? I am grateful that I'll have the ability to have both... but wondering which most people would prefer (especially from a Klipsch forum)!

Thanks to AN for this nice insight -- Has a "filmlike" quality to it, which will attract people who love the cinema.-- being a photographer I appreciate this comment, I've always thought that plasma looked more 'analog' ie smooth transitions sharp lines where I felt I could always see a graininess to any LCD/LED type set. I'm in a very light controlled environment so the reflective screen doesn't bother me a bit.

I have $1000 invested in my 42" plasma and a HT sound setup worth probably $6K in this same room. For me, the sound experience is what sucks me into the picture, a good sound system fooling my auditory sense is much more useful to me than a bigger screen. I have LS set about 13 feet apart for a very wide sound stage, Cornwalls behind me set to LARGE, THX sub system in a fairly simple yet powerful 5.1 system. Spend 80% of your entertainment buck on the sound system says I.

Michael

Thanks to AN for this nice insight -- Has a "filmlike" quality to it, which will attract people who love the cinema.-- being a photographer I appreciate this comment, I've always thought that plasma looked more 'analog' ie smooth transitions sharp lines where I felt I could always see a graininess to any LCD/LED type set. I'm in a very light controlled environment so the reflective screen doesn't bother me a bit.

I have $1000 invested in my 42" plasma and a HT sound setup worth probably $6K in this same room. For me, the sound experience is what sucks me into the picture, a good sound system fooling my auditory sense is much more useful to me than a bigger screen. I have LS set about 13 feet apart for a very wide sound stage, Cornwalls behind me set to LARGE, THX sub system in a fairly simple yet powerful 5.1 system. Spend 80% of your entertainment buck on the sound system says I.

Michael

from having dlp, lcd, plasma, and led I would take the plasmas anyday of the week

I currently have 1 samsung 58" plasma and 1 panasonic 58" plasma, the glare is worse on the panny but both are good sets, from having a samsung led 120hz it was far to jittery and ghosting was terrible, it was quickly replaced by the samsung plasma, price / preformance plasma is #1

Plasma guy, too.

Burn-in is simply a thing of the past. On a 5-6yr old plasma, yeah, but it just doesn't happen anymore. I "game" on mine quite a bit, and have never had a problem. Plus, the AR filters and screens are getting pretty good on plasmas. Sports, Blu-rays, games... Plasma picture wins, no contest (my opinion).

See if you can find a higher-class Panny (VT-30 series, your local WorstBuy isn't going to carry it in store), that has been calibrated. My local A/V dealer has one. IMHO, there is no comparison in PQ. (The dealer also carries Samsung's top-of-the-line LED)

Again, all of these are my opinions, and my opinions alone. No need to flame.