Room size

Laveller

Im sure this question has been asked and answered many time but, being a new poster with a real problem, i'll ask it again ... Im setting up a traditional stereo system in a room that will be dedicated to the system. The room is 13x14 with 8.5 ceilings (old house). I have access to either a used (mid 90s) set of corner horns OR a pair of almost new rf7ii's. Is the room too small for the horns? Are the rf7's a better choice?

Thanks,

Any help is appreciated.

I've got a pair of Khorns (actually Shinalls) upstairs in a room with almost those exact dimensions. They work in that room, and I plan to do more acoustical treatment and time alignment (triamping) in the future, as time allows, but they sound fine.

Would I buy RF-7s instead for that room? No.

Are the speakers big for that room? Yes, but they're in two corners out of the way and they look very nice (I wish that I had pix, but I don't...).

I keep that system as simple as possible in order for my wife to use it without frustration - I use a simple AVR, a center Belle holding a flat screen, two Heresies, a direct-radiating sub, a PS3, and a Harmony One universal remote for a 5.1 HT setup. Works nicely.

Chris

position, position, position -

my research found that most guys who really think they have good stereo image from Khorns sit not against the far wall, which is usually well past the crosshairs, nor at the .5 front wall point which would seem exactly at the acoustic centers of the speakers. Most sit .7 to .8x front wall which in your case would be 9 to 11 feet. If you can't arrange seating near there, I wouldn't put Khorns in a room that small. My home office is 14x14 and is plenty full of sound with a pair of forte II.

position, position, position - my research found that most guys who really think they have good stereo image from Khorns sit not against the far wall, which is usually well past the crosshairs, nor at the .5 front wall point which would seem exactly at the acoustic centers of the speakers. Most sit .7 to .8x front wall which in your case would be 9 to 11 feet.

My wife's easy chair for HT is in the location you mention...must be why it sounds so good.

Chris

"Near Field" listening is very revealing...

And much better when the speakers' drivers are time aligned to each other... [:o] For instance, have you ever listened to time-aligned Khorns, La Scalas, Belles, or even Cornwalls? They will have dramatically improved imaging performance - especially in a small room. Just ask Marvel or sootshe about their time-aligned tweeters and midranges in their La Scalas...

Active Bi-amping/Triamping FAQ

Chris

of course I love my horns, side reflectations might not be such a problem, but rear wall ones can be. I would also consider a slight tip forward in such a small space to angle the horns more directly towards your ear.

ok .. so i'm going to try it ... the long wall thing doesn't make sense to me .. what would push the audio signal intersection point back towards the opposite long wall? the whole mess whne finally configured will be the horns, rogue amplification, with pioneer and rega sources.

the long wall thing doesn't make sense to me

Actually, in tests that PWK did with his own staff, the preference for wide vs. narrow spacing was ambiguous (see his article on using a Cornwall-like speaker in the corners of the room): PWK chose the wide spacing.

The difference is mainly the size of the resulting soundstage, if the geometry of the room and the room acoustic treatments are right (...hint, hint...).

If I had the room, I'd probably try the long-wall spacing - but I don't have the room that will allow that test. At any rate, my short-wall dimension is already much wider than the HT screen size, so I get objects going "really off-stage" left and right when playing movies.

Chris