RC-35 Muffeled

bribassguy

I have a RC-35 that sounds muffled. I ran calibration w/o any improvment, then manually ran test tones and leveled the volume of the channels w/o any improvment. I tried to adjust the EQ again w/o any improvments... I reset everything in the reciver and then I switched the front channel RC-35 to a RB-35 and it made a world of differance. That seems to eliminate the amp / reciver as a problem.

After that I switched them back and ran test tones for JUST the high freq inputs and the center channel was WAY low. I was thinking it had to be the X-over or tweeter at that point. I pulled off the front covers and it looks like the high inputs by-pass the tweeter completly.

I check impendance then used a battery to "click" the tweeter... there was a very faint clicking but my multi meter seems to bleed down the ohm reading or slowly count down.

I pulled off the front cover of my RB-35 to try and compare to see if I could hear / measure a differance and noticed that they have compeltly diffrent driver designs.

The 'dead' sounding RC has a K-130 tweeter that is flat on the back whereas the RB has a K-137 tweeter with a large heatsink.

I am scratching my head a little trying to diangonse the issue. I am thinking that the tweeter is bad, what do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help,

BCM

It is a new to me speaker... it always sounded funny to me. When replaced with an rb-35 everything sounds as expected.

I had an RC-35 when they first came out. Mine was a little muted on the top end but I read a lot of complaints about people complaining that the speaker sounding muffled. Some described it as sounding like it was being played in a box. Others said it sounded like there was a towel draped over it. I'll see if I can find some of the old posts.

So does the speaker just suck then? I think Ill try switching the tweeters tonight and see if it sounds any diffrent... any other tips on testing the tweeter?

I don't recall reading what the problem actually was, the tweeter or the crossover. If you switch tweeters and still have the issue, then the problem is in the crossover. I wouldn't know where to start with that repair.