The 'Best' Tube ampflication that you have experienced....and why?

crd97086

Hello. As always, my journey, at my age of 53, is towards the best. I just pushed myself into 'the best' in the last 2 years. Understand please, I was a total miser until then, concerning audio.

Anyone who has seen me print on this forum knows the Loudspeakers that I love, they are the best in this format. The opinions that I am solicaiting here and now are your impressions of the Best Tube Amflication that you have expericened in your hone environment. Dollar amounts do not interest me, please understand that. At this point in my life, I will check out everything, and I have. To be very honest with you, I love the reviews that I see for the Coincident Frankentstein 300bs. I dunno. There are others, such as Border Patrol...such as Volti Audio recommendeds.....and I am not 'schilling' .....just stating Gentlemen.

As always, I am looking for anyone's straight up recommendations.......regardless of price range......and please give a reference as to why it is better. I very much appreciate anyone's time. Thanks, Dale.

'

P.S.....If I have left any comparative info out I will gladly come back and add that in. Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best I have experienced.......Manley MB-350. The sound was detailed, fully deminsional, smooth, extreme presence, all instuments came to life, voices were realistic, the slap of drums commanding, everything sounded live. How the heck did they do it. Three sepereate power suppy transformers and filters. Each gets inverted to cancel out noise. Power supply caps as big as soda cans. Power transformer and output transformer wieghting as much as a bowling ball.....each. Eight KT-90 poer tubes driven by a 6350 driver tube and a 12aT7 predriver per channel. 350 watts per mono block.

post-22082-13819666932084_thumb.jpg

Guest davidness

And, please, WHY....can't I get paragraphs from this forum. I am all about good writing....or I try to be:)

Because you're using probably using Safari as your browser. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Apple products, but switch to using FireFox and the problem you described will go away....

or, you can manually type in the html for a line break (you'll need a pair). I can't type them in here or it'll just render as line breaks, but each one is: less than sign "<", the letters "br", than a greater than sign ">". repeat. It will look like this, but remove the spaces I've added: < b r > < b r >

Easier to switch to FireFox.

And, please, WHY....can't I get paragraphs from this forum. I am all about good writing....or I try to be:)

Because you're using probably using Safari as your browser. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Apple products, but switch to using FireFox and the problem you described will go away....

or, you can manually type in the html for a line break (you'll need a pair). I can't type them in here or it'll just render as line breaks, but each one is: less than sign "<", the letters "br", than a greater than sign ">". repeat. It will look like this, but remove the spaces I've added: < b r > < b r >

It sure would be nice if this site was kinder to apple products though.

I have been using an iPad lately do to shoulder surgery, and out of all the browsers available, none work without entering HTML code.

I've gotten around it by making shortcuts for paragraph breaks.

Sorry for the rant, carry on.

And Guys.....do you get it...........................................I could care less about the sofrware CRAP!!!!

If you care about the subject,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,please.......get, to it...............that is all I am asking.......I aint;'t 20 years old..............

I ain't play'in ..........around.......please ....I am looking for for your straight up answers..............I value them.....thanks......Dale.

Okay................once again.............I am 53 years old...........I am only 2 years into getting to the best possible configuration........Just wondering what you have found to be the best in tube ampflication...........in your experciences.......please//////////////// I don't care about software Guys..............Please, just give me your impressions about the subject..............thanks.

I don't care about software Guys..............Please, just give me your impressions about the subject..............

Then delete your second post in this thread as you sound greatly annoyed at not being able to easily make paragraphs. Please don't chew them out for trying to help.

Can't help you with your tube amplification quest. I have an original H.H. Scott 299C that I haven't sent to Craig yet. It is my intro into tubes.

Best of luck. I hope you find what you're looking for. Remember to enjoy the ride!

Let me start off and say that there is no such thing as "the best" tube amp or "the best anything" in audio. There are only products that work the best for your own requirements. For us to give you a good answer, we will have to know what you are looking for. We will need to know your power requirements, your budget, and what kind of sound you are looking for. At least I would need to know more. You could start with these...

post-25429-13819666940114_thumb.jpg

As I said in my many posts to all of you.............et al..............majorly goodnight..............you really.........except for the few in my other posts........you have NOTHING and subsequent to the conversation.............say hay to AMY......................bye................I will be looking in'...............Dale.

As I said in my many posts to all of you.............et al..............majorly goodnight..............you really.........except for the few in my other posts........you have NOTHING and subsequent to the conversation.............say hay to AMY......................bye................I will be looking in'...............Dale.

Dale, you have asked a question which has no answer (unless you pose it to yourself). An amp, especially a tube amp, can't be considered in isolation from the speakers with which it is used. The best sounding amp with K-horns may be totally unacceptable with B &W 801s. And even if a specific speaker is named, you will find as many opinions about the "best" sounding amp as there are folks who use that speaker. Why not find a custom amp designer/builder who will voice the amp in your system to achieve what you are looking for? Since cost is no object, your goal should be easily achievable. Perhaps something like this would give interesting results: http://www.nutshellhifi.com/VSAC2003-2.html

It sure would be nice if this site was kinder to apple products though.

I have been using an iPad lately do to shoulder surgery, and out of all the browsers available, none work without entering HTML code.

I've gotten around it by making shortcuts for paragraph breaks.

Sorry for the rant, carry on.

I'm not a Safari user, but if you want to try something out:

Go to [Edit user profile] [site Options] [Content Editor], and you will see some editor options, one of which is "XStandard - Try with Safari, requires LOCAL install"

I have no idea if it will work. I just happened accross it.

An amp, especially a tube amp, can't be considered in isolation from the speakers with which it is used.

And, unfortunately, the room that the speakers are in, with its acoustic treatments. This is especially true of corner horns.