Other vintage speakers you like?

Klipschtastic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bose 901's...No joke. [:)] Of course, mine were bought new in '09, so they are no more a "vintage" speaker than a klipschorn from the same year.

Other vintage speakers I like? Hmmm......OK, My "New" Large Advents from the 70's; Also, my ESS amt-1b's from the same era.

I once heard a pair of Ohm Walsh Radiators that sounded very interesting. Model 5's, I believe.

All the old ADS speakers that I ever heard were great sounding. I especially remember the L710 and L810.

Rectilinear 5's

Dynaco A25

I advised a couple of my friends to get A25s in 1976. Still their main speakers and I am still blown away at the sound. I purchased Rectilinear's in 1971 and they served as my mains until the mid 90s. Equally awesome...

Dave

I've haven't heard them but I have heard of them -- the ESS AMT1B's that I recently picked up at a garage sale. The design (shape) was unmistakable from the road when I drove by and picked them up for $50. Nice condition also. Only trouble is one speaker is totally dead so I hope it's a fuse - gotta open her up to find it, though. Wish me luck!

Steve

Every time I've heard a speaker with a decent reputation that I did NOT
like, sooner or later I've heard the same speaker in a particular room
with certain associated equipment, and found that, under those
conditions, I DID like it!

For instance:

JBL Hartsfield ...
usually very lacking in the bass, but in one specific room great! Same
with the JBL double woofer rear loaded horn and the 375 horn lens (I
think the box is called the C55, nicknamed "the scoop").

Bose 901
(no joke) ... usually muddy, without much detail, with insufficient
dynamics, and singularly unexciting .... but in Alphonso's Mercantile in
MendocinoVillage (on the north California coast), with a succession of
high powered amplifiers, from a Phase Linear 700 (350 watts per channel
-- sort of) in 1972 to a 1,000 + watts per channel McIntosh last time I
was there, they were beautiful, detailed, dynamic, and exciting. From
hearing Bose 901s many times, in many places, I estimate that they
need about 35 times the power that my Klipschorns need, and a good room.

Altec Voice of the Theater (A7 ???) Terrible in
one store, surprisingly terrible during one audition in Leo De Gar
Kukala's recording studio in San Francisco, but at San Francisco State
University, excellent.

My favorite speakers are
Klipschorns, but even they sounded bad in one store in the '80s ... I'm
glad I got to hear them in two other places where they sounded great,
and in another place where they wiped the floor with B&W 801 Fs. As
you can see, I bought them. That being said, I haven't heard Klipsch Jubilee speakers ...they aren't usually present in lists of Klipsch speakers, perhaps
because they are special order items, and they are not vintage, but so
many people I respect on this forum like or love them that I'll bet
they're great.

Have had Quad 57`s Quad 63`s and a slew of Acoustats. 0ne plus 0ne Acoustats are my fav. They require a serious amplifier. Note there are dozens of amps which will run them without seeming to be bothered by the load. Very few amps can actually run them and sound great. When you find a great (stable) amp most all the issues you ever hear about these speakers just go away. Add to that the Acoustat is the single most reliable durable stat ever to reach the market and you have one of the true all time greats.Best regards Moray James

Legacy Focus, JBL Paragon, EV-Sentry III and IV, and Patrician IV, Bozak Symphony, Dahlquist DQ-10 with twin DQ1W subs.

I had a friend who liked theatre organ music. His system was 2 AR-3s in the front and 2 AR-3as balanced on chairs in the back, all driven by a McIntosh 2105. On most things, the system was soggy and indistinct. But, when he brought out the George Wright, you were in the center of the balcony at the Fox Theater. It's the only system I've ever heard that had the same way of filling the room with sound as a big pipe organ. If you moved the speakers even a little bit - like you wanted to sit down - the illusion was gone.

Nice thread, I love vintage audio as I educate myself to it. When I have people over and and I play my Altec model 19's people love them, and say, they sound fantastic, and "they are the best they have ever heard" but when I put my 604's on, the party stops and everyone just listens. Altec made some nice old gear but be careful, they can be harsh and need alot of fine tuning and can be very source dependant. Good Luck

In the late 60s early 70s there was a local stereo chain (pacific stereo) that had a speaker upgrade program. If you bought new speakers from them you could return them in the nest year and apply what you paid towards a more expensive pair. The rectiliniers were the last of a long upgrade chain. PAC stereo didn't carry klipsch so I sold my rectiliniers to a friend and bought a new pair of decorator Cornwallis never looked back but I did really like the rectiliniers. I still have a pair of dynamo a25 s in my office and they continue to amaze . Smooth as a baby's butt! Still one of the great values in audio.

Josh

I had a friend who liked theatre organ music. His system was 2 AR-3s in the front and 2 AR-3as balanced on chairs in the back, all driven by a McIntosh 2105. On most things, the system was soggy and indistinct. But, when he brought out the George Wright, you were in the center of the balcony at the Fox Theater. It's the only system I've ever heard that had the same way of filling the room with sound as a big pipe organ. If you moved the speakers even a little bit - like you wanted to sit down - the illusion was gone.

It's tricky, isn't it? The room filled with realistic organ sound at
Pro Audio in Oakland (1980s) with Klipschorns, despite there not being
much below about 35 Hz. The wide, effortless dynamics gave the
impression that if there was an upper limit, it was far above the
loudest passage in the recording. The Khorns sounded more realistic
than the B & W 801 Fs that we compared them to with the same music,
even though the B & Ws -- at least on paper -- went lower.

I
came to that experience after hearing the two organs at Grace Cathedral
and -- several years before -- hearing George Wright's final concert at
the Fox theater in San Francisco not too long before they tore it down.
We sat downstairs about ten rows back. At the end of the concert,
Wright played a rousing version of "San Francisco," and as the organ
console sank into the pit they brought down the beautiful fire curtain
that hadn't been lowered for decades. There wasn't a dry eye in the
house.

One thing neither the Khorns nor the B & Ws could do
was reproduce the sound of the giant 16 Hz pipe at the Fox, but I doubt
if that frequency made it onto the Lp recording. Perhaps a big enough
horn loaded subwoofer could produce a clean and dynamic 16 Hz .....

BTW,
I like the JBL Paragon, too -- they always sounded incredibly clear
and analytical, but I went with Khorns after AB auditioning, because
they seemed to have more authority in the bass, were a bit warmer, and
could provide a wider soundstage when using a derived center channel
(Belle).

I still have a pair of dynamo a25 s in my office and they continue to amaze . Smooth as a baby's butt! Still one of the great values in audio.
Josh

Ain't it the truth! Even after all these years and knowing how good they sound, and "smooth" is the word, I think when I hear them "Good Lord, they are even BETTER than I remember."

Dave