I'm in the game -----Klipschorns

jvs1670

Hi. Been reading here now for awhile and I finally joined the forum. My dad just passed along his 1978 Klipschorns to me that he bought new when I was just a kid of 8 years old. I already replaced the caps that I got from Bob Crites but they are original other than that...they are great. In the process of finishing my basement and they will reside there as the focul point of the room. Sorry guess I really don't have a specific question just yet since I'm still just trying to soak up all the existing info I have found here. Just wanted to say what an amazing forum this is and that I didn't realize how much there is to learn.

John

Welcome John and if you've been reading the forum for a while now, then you know.....

worthless.gif........tappingfoot.gif

Well, not completely worthless, but you get the idea!! ....... rolling.gif

What kind(s) of music do you listen too?

Again, we're glad to have you here and Welcome to the Family! drinkingcheers.gif

Dennie

• 9 months later...

John: welcome to the forum, I hope that your dad is still with us? You have grown up as one of the privlidged ones. As a kid who's dad had Khons I guess that you have not spent much time drooling over other rigs out there? How about a close up of the frone panels on those Khorns they look very nice. Feed them well (source) and care for them and they will sing for your kids too. What a legacy your dad started. Best regards Moray James.

Yea your right my post amounts are sad but I'm here reading threads everyday for the last year trying to soak all the info in. Luckily my Dad is still around he just thought it was time to pass them on to me, yes I'm very lucky. I will take more pics but even some others I did take wouldn't fit and I'm trying to figure out how to resize them.

The quartets you see are just there to play around with temporarily as those will go to my side surrounds and my HereseyII's will be used for rear surround. Since you mentioned source I would like to ask a question. I've been waiting for the XSP-1 to come out and apparently it is available for order as of today. Right now I have the XDA-1 and use a UPA-2 as an amp. Sounds good but I'm missing so much bottom end. The mids and highs are just overpowering and the bass is weak in comparison. Should I be looking to get some tube amps/pre amps? I have pipe foam fitted to the rear and they are pressed tight into the corners. My front wall is 16ft across and my room is 22 ft long. Please advise.

Anyone in the Denver area have tube equipment available for a test drive or demo? I'm sure I'm missing out on their sound potential just don't know how to proceed and keep it affordable.

Can't help you with the gear you mentioned as I have no experience with it. What did your dad run the Khorns with? Any of the local stereo shops should be willing to loan you an EL34 PP amp for a trial at home that should tell you if there is a mismatch with your amp. Just about any amp should do to give you a heads up cause its hard to make a bad EL34 amp. Sounds like you have the guts for a killer system. Don't have too many kids cause they will all want Dad's system one day. Best regards Moray James.

• Moderators

Yea your right my post amounts are sad but I'm here reading threads everyday for the last year trying to soak all the info in.

Just kidding you, it really makes no difference.

Glad your dad is still around, I am sure you taking up one his old hobby's makes him happy.