I'm in the game -----Klipschorns

jvs1670

Sounds good but I'm missing so much bottom end. The mids and highs are just overpowering and the bass is weak in comparison. Should I be looking to get some tube amps/pre amps?

double check the connections to your bass bin and make sure the phasing is the same. Also, those quartets you have....if they are connected also...there may be an out of phase issue there as well....try it with out the quartets. In that room...the bass should be very good.

So I'm just checking that its wired red to red and black to black or do I just switch them and see how it sounds....sorry for the silly question.

when using horn loaded speakers with direct radiating speakers you some times get a phasing problem....so disconnect the second set of speakers and decide if the bass is adequate....if it is...and not adequate with the second set of speakers on....then you have to reverse the connections on the second set of speakers.

Checked all connections and all looks correct. I even switched the wires on one of the bass bins and the bass went away entirely so I'm pretty sure that set up was the out of phase connection and changed it back.

There are no bass management setting on the XDA-1 so that's not it either. One thing I did was try numerous sources and in doing so found that the sound varies wildly depending on quality of the source like so many have said here before. Just by chance I tried Cream live at Royal Albert Hall streamed on Netflix through my bluray driven by my old Denon 3803...the audio was awesome, felt like you were there. I did adjust the bass up a little and cut the treble to -2. It really sounded great just in stereo mode. When I tried pure direct mode it fell flat a little on the bass again. So with the right source material and a little tweaking on the settings these speakers can blow you away.

So next up is getting something modern to use as a preamp that allows me to adjust the settings and getting a good quality CD player and stop using my blueray player or my old Sony carousel changer.

Any suggestions on preamps and cd players that wont break the bank? Am I wrong to look at the Emotiva stuff?

Thanks for all the replies

Sounds good but I'm missing so much bottom end. The mids and highs are just overpowering and the bass is weak in comparison. Should I be looking to get some tube amps/pre amps? I have pipe foam fitted to the rear and they are pressed tight into the corners. My front wall is 16ft across and my room is 22 ft long. Please advise.

Anyone in the Denver area have tube equipment available for a test drive or demo? I'm sure I'm missing out on their sound potential just don't know how to proceed and keep it affordable.

You are going through exactly what happened to me with my k horns years ago. I added a subwoofer but ultimately, removed it when I discovered how to remedy the problem.

I added ALK crossovers and they still lacked bass, or at least the mids and highs were overpowering.

I eventually added an active crossover and amps. (this is a separate amp for each driver of the speaker - 6 total). I do not recommend going active, it is a lot of complicaton. But, the active crossover allowed me to adjust each driver individually with the turn of a knob.

I started with trying to adjust by the book and finally just adjusted each driver by ear. It took about 15 minutes and magically everything just sounded the way I wanted it right away. Ultimately, I just wound up cutting the midrange and highs to match the lows. Subwoofer no longer needed and they really sounded fantastic. Nice warm sound, lots of bass but not overpowering.

I am not a bass head as I was accused of being when I was asking the same question (K horns have a ton of bass, you just like too much bass, blah blah blah...) My system now (not k horns) has a subwoofer tuned so that it blends nicely and warms the sound up.

So, the trick is to find a passive crossover (the reguar kind that where you just hook up one amp) where you can cut the midrange and tweeters to match the woofer.

I am interested in this thread as I now have both K Horns and La Scalas as projects and will need to build 4 crossovers for the two pairs of speakers.

So guys, is there a type A or similar design that can cut the mids and the tweeters?

Am I wrong to look at the Emotiva stuff?

Your experience with them so far has left you wanting, from the sounds of the comarison to the blue-ray/Denon combo.

When you have really resolving, high sensitivity transducers like Khorns, I see how it may present a problem w/ the Emo gear. The XDA-1 has a lossy digital volume control, meaning that as you reduce volume you actually lose data, thus resolution. The sensitivity of your speakers (compounded by the high gain structure of the amp), when combined with the volume control issue, may have you running your system predominantly down in the area where resolution loss is signifigant. That's just a guess, based on how much better the Denon seemed to perform.

Any suggestions on preamps and cd players that wont break the bank?

You could simply stick with the Denon/blu-ray player combo, even for two channel listening. If that particular collection of gear is able to transport you to the Royal Albert Hall, well, that's what it's all about! You may end up spending a bunch replacing the Emo gear just to find yourself right where you are now.

• Moderators

I've been waiting for the XSP-1 to come out and apparently it is available for order as of today. Right now I have the XDA-1 and use a UPA-2 as an amp.

If you decide to sell the XDA-1 let me know, I'd like to try one as a pre-amp.