Is there really a �best� of anything in audio?

jhoak

I’ve been reading through several threads lately that ask what is the “best” whatever for whatever. I’m seeing LOTS of recommendations but I really don’t think there’s ever going to be a clear “this is best” answer.

Audio equipment and the listener’s reaction to it is simply too subjective. Basically what’s “best” for one person can (and will) sound like @$$ to the next guy. If there actually was a singular “best” of anything in the audio world there would be only one manufacturer of that item.

I like my system. It suites my needs and sounds very good to me. Do I expect anyone else to be as impressed with it as I am? Of course not. I’ve had any number of people here who have listened to my system and left unimpressed. I’m OK with that. I suspect that if I had the chance to hear their definition of “best” I too would not be impressed.

We’ve all seen it and heard it before… Different strokes for different folks or your mileage may vary or whatever.

Short version… Seek out the audio hardware that YOUR ears like in YOUR listening room and falls within YOUR budget. THEN don’t give a rats F#$%^&G @SS what anyone else thinks about it. At the end of the day it’s YOU who has to listen to whatever system you’ve assembled day in and day out.

This concludes today's rant... [;)]

I’ve been reading through several threads lately that ask what is the “best” whatever for whatever. I’m seeing LOTS of recommendations but I really don’t think there’s ever going to be a clear “this is best” answer.

Audio equipment and the listener’s reaction to it is simply too subjective. Basically what’s “best” for one person can (and will) sound like @$$ to the next guy. If there actually was a singular “best” of anything in the audio world there would be only one manufacturer of that item.

I like my system. It suites my needs and sounds very good to me. Do I expect anyone else to be as impressed with it as I am? Of course not. I’ve had any number of people here who have listened to my system and left unimpressed. I’m OK with that. I suspect that if I had the chance to hear their definition of “best” I too would not be impressed.

We’ve all seen it and heard it before… Different strokes for different folks or your mileage may vary or whatever.

Short version… Seek out the audio hardware that YOUR ears like in YOUR listening room and falls within YOUR budget. THEN don’t give a rats F#$%^&G @SS what anyone else thinks about it. At the end of the day it’s YOU who has to listen to whatever system you’ve assembled day in and day out.

This concludes today's rant... Wink

All I want to know is if Coytee likes to listen to Marie Osmond and I wanted to marry Marie Osmond when I was seven, will I like Jubes?[:P]

Is there really a “best” of anything in audio?

Not when everyone has different tastes in music.

Say a guy favors small ensemble Jazz type music the most...he builds a system around the type of music he likes. Say a turntable with a 45 SET amplifier and some fullrange drivers.

Now that system would be pretty worthless for a guy who likes Slayer at 120dB...

There quite simply is NOT the perfect audio system at ANY price high or low. As humans each of our respective tastes, our likes and dislikes are just too different.

About a hundred years or so ago when I was selling (OK… attempting to) high end audio equipment (anyone remember Audio Spectrum in Orlando, FL?) we were trained to “assist” rather than recommend. What that meant was that when we got an interested customer we advised that he (or sometimes she) bring in their very favorite albums. The one’s that they knew intimately start to finish.

We would then play their favorite music and guide them through the process of piecing together whatever it was that they liked the best. Audio Spectrum had a “no questions asked” 30 day return policy at the time. From time to time we would even install a system in someone’s home for a “trial period”. Of course those were the really “big buck” systems but I don’t recall ever removing a “trial” system.

What struck me at the time (I was VERY young) was just how different musical tastes were hardware wise. There were some who spent tons on speakers and scrimped on the electronics and others who did exactly the opposite.

The lessons for me were (1) buy what your ears like and (2) stay “balanced” in whatever you buy. That’s to say that a $300 turntable with a $3000 cartridge is going to be a disappointment much like a $5000 amplifier hooked to $500 speakers would be.

There just ain't no "best" in anything audio wise and there never will be.

The best place I ever lived.....

The best school I ever went to........

The best job I ever had.........

The best friends I ever had......

The best girl friend I ever had.........

The best car I ever had......

The best audio system I ever had........

............all had one thing in common......I was in the best state of mind to enjoy it

Even if sound quality is the only criteria, as you move up the scale, products get better and better and even though they may sound different, it's hard to say which one is "best". Do you want a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari, it's really up to the buyer. You are also ignoring system synergy, and I think we all agree how important that is. I have 4 music systems, they each are satisfying in their own way but they are not the best systems I ever owned, but they all satisfy and let me enjoy the music. That, my friends is the whole reason we do this hobby.

I've always tried to tell people that if they like it then it's great, not that I've lied when I've heard some stuff that sounded really bad and the person was trying to tell me that I was listening to something wonderful, but you get the point. I have on the other hand seen people, even on this forum, bash other peoples gear or methods and all I can say is get over yourself and your "golden ear" opinion and let people enjoy their version of the best. At this time my best are my RF 7's, but that's because they just came out of the basement after a year and a half and are back upstairs where I've been putting them through the paces and playing with gear selection and I get to experience them all over again.

I honestly believe there is a quantifiable "best" when it comes to audio. In my opinion, preferences shouldn't trump reality. Listening is a learned art, and those experiences are what drive our preferences. In other words, I think the most fun I have in this hobby happens when my preferences change as I keep learning new things.

I honestly believe there is a quantifiable "best" when it comes to audio. In my opinion, preferences shouldn't trump reality. Listening is a learned art, and those experiences are what drive our preferences. In other words, I think the most fun I have in this hobby happens when my preferences change as I keep learning new things.

Man. This is so right...I've been on a journey for so long, it seems that as I move through the ages I can afford complete systems now instead of pieces to add other pieces to, never having anything complete and continually trying to finish a rig. That was my experience growing up. At age 53, I can afford good vintage gear, and I have a rather large collection now. I can mix and match to my whim, and everything is on a par with everythig else, so everything plays nice together. I'm lucky like that, I can swap in and out without a big problem. Design and plan your purchases like that and the best won't be something to seek after, you'll find due satisfaction with what you have.

This is why there are four basic questions that I ask of somebody that is looking for recommendations:

1. What is your budget, i.e., how much are you willing to spend on this? Corallory is how flexible are you on the budget, in that could you swing the extra $50 or $100 to get the item that is just one up from the model you are looking at that may actually work out better for you in the long run?
  2. What do you plan on primarily listening to on this, i.e, your musical tastes, or even planning on watching movies using this rig?
  3. What kind of room are you putting this in? For some folks, the big Heritage/horns are just not going to work out and something from the Reference line may be better served for a particular space. That is certainly the case for me, which is why I have RF-7s instead of KHorns or even Cornwalls in my rig.
  4. What pieces do you currently have that you wish to use in your rig? Some folks may already have a really nice amp they want to keep, but want to find a good set of speakers that goes with it (or vice versus).

With that, it makes it easier to recommend something, especially if others on here with the same budget, tastes, equipment, and space constraints had good luck and 'synergy' with a given mix of speakers and components that the individual that is seeking a recommendation may wish to try.

I agree with Mike 'Dr. Who' in that there is indeed a 'Best', but I also agree that my 'Best' may not necessarly be the same as another's 'Best'. With what I currently got, I think I've achieved my 'Best' with what I am willing to ultimatly spend and the room I have it in (which is why I pretty much have not done any real equipment changes for the past several years). With that said, I do want to eventually upgrade my pre/pro, as this Denon AVR3802 I am currently using really is getting long in the tooth and I know I can get better out there.

The best place I ever lived.....

The best school I ever went to........

The best job I ever had.........

The best friends I ever had......

The best girl friend I ever had.........

The best car I ever had......

The best audio system I ever had........

I think I was in college at the time but I (the group or class I was with) was told that we'd each most likely marry someone who lived within "X" miles of where we lived.

Their point being that whomever we married would most likely be met in the same town/work..... and although the "best" person for us to marry might live across the country, the odds are that we'd never meet them.