Re-coning K-22's 1971 vintage

debken

Hi everyone, I will be getting a pair of Heresy's model H-700, H-WO. 12 with consecutive serial numbers, 3J362 and 3J363. The K-22.s need to be reconed, they are the original woofers with consecutive serial numbers as well. Where can I get these reconed,? Will it effect the sound?Will they sound like they did before the repairs? Thanks.

You have either EV or CTS woofers. My 1966 Heresys have EV, 1972 CTS. I am not sure what year the change took place. In either case, OEM recone kits are no longer available. That doesn't mean they cannot be reconed, just that it will have to be done with generic parts. There is no guarantee they will sound exactly like they do now, but any differences should be slight if the job is done right. Look for a company that has been in the business for a while. On the West Coast, H Brown Soun in the Bay Area, and Orange County Speaker in SoCal are good choices.

While you are at it, you might want to have the magnets recharged.

OC Speaker lists $55 to recone "standard" stamped frame woofer, $65 for cast frame. Add $25 to recharge magnet. Prices vary. You will have to check with the reconer for the exact price. If you do recone, make sure the reconer maintains the same impedance. The early Heresys had 16 ohm voice coils, not 8 ohm.

A good alternative is to replace the woofer. Bob Crites sells good replacements. If you do replace, you will also need to upgrade the crossover from Type C to Type E because the replacement woofers have 8 ohm voice coils. It only involves replacing the 1 uF capacitor with a 2 uF capacitor and changing taps on the autotransformer, and maybe switch the phase of one driver.

Which woofers do you have, EV or CTS? The EV woofers have cast frames. The CTS woofers have stampled frames with a big D-shaped magnet assembly.

Parts-Express quoted me $63 each to recone my 76 vintage K-22s. And I would have to pay shipping both ways. In the end I bought a pair of the Crites 12" woofers. They're very nice. In the end it was pretty close to a wash $$ wise between reconing and new.

Unluess you have your heart set on keeping them "original" I'd go with the new ones. Besides... You can eBay the old ones as "needing to be reconed" and I'll bet you'll be surprised at what the bring.

Thanks again for the info. As for the AlInCo, it did look to me like it was a list of elements, but I also thought that it might be the brand name as well. Anyway, we came up with a used pair that are the same as the originals. They even have consecutive serial numbers. Up and sounding sweet. With the help of a Mac 5100. Also, whats the story behind the emblem on the grills, looks like a backward P then a W and then a K? Can you tell I'm a newbie yet? Thanks again.