I'm thinking of going Pro......

customsteve01

Finally sold the house in Virginia and moved to Fort Worth, TX. The La Scalas have been moved from barn duty to a room in the house. Crown has a new XLS series of amps and I'm trying to find out if anyone has heard them. I'm looking at the XLS1500 or XLS2000. In searches pretty much all I can find is stuff on the discontinued XLS models. These amps are class D and have a power conditioner built into them. They are also weigh in at less than 15 pounds.

Here is a link to Crowns website: http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls_drivecore.htm

It seems like forever since I've had time to hang out on here. I hope everyone is doing great. Steve

I'm a true blood Texan for life, I grew up here. I just was living in Virginia temporarily. I've been commuting back and forth from Texas to Virginia since 2004. It sure is nice having a home in the same state as you work.

Yes I've heard La Scalas on Tubes and like it very much. To tell the truth I'm building this up for theater application. I just know there are guys that have a wealth of knowledge and never look in the theater section so that's why I posted it here.

We are going to build a new house with in the year and I want to start putting all the components together now. I'm wanting to get some info on amps and saw these and am wondering how they sound.

Coytee offered to let me borrow a Crown K2 to do a side by side comparison. I think I will take him up on the offer. I will buy one of the XLS1500 or 2000, but make sure I can return it if I don't like it. If I like it I will need to buy a few more.

Steve

I've got D-75As and XTi-1000s in west Arlington, but I haven't heard the XLS series.

Give me a shout if you want to hear either of these two amps on Jubs.

Chris

I'm always amazed that performers mostly use tube gear but home enthusiest who want to turn pro use SS gear?

Most performers are running 6l6's, 5881's, El-34's, and a few are running KT-90's.

Just say no to Pro. In most cases, you are better off using gear designed for it's original application, i.e. home audio. Pro gear is OK if you know why it is used. It may have a fan that is loud, it may have high gain and a high signal to noise ratio and it may have limited low frequency performance. On the other hand it's hard to blow up, lol!

Just say no to Pro. In most cases, you are better off using gear designed for it's original application, i.e. home audio. Pro gear is OK if you know why it is used. It may have a fan that is loud, it may have high gain and a high signal to noise ratio and it may have limited low frequency performance. On the other hand it's hard to blow up, lol!

Then again, pro has massive bang for the buck, usually much better stability to low impendance (often with ratings down to 2 ohms) and several models either don't have fans or can be modded with quiet ones for just a few bucks. Some are better S/N than expensive good-looking home gear.

It may have a fan that is loud, it may have high gain and a high signal to noise ratio and it may have limited low frequency performance.

Bryston makes amps that don't have any of those issues. If you go for a used 4B, you may want a newer (used) one. That amp has been made for over 20 years and the newer ones have excellent sound quality, better than the earlier 4Bs.

On the other hand it's hard to blow up, lol!

And if it does (unlikely) it has a lifetime warranty.