best cd ripping software?

SuBXeRo

anyone has any suggestion, free is preferable but i am willing to pay for a quality program. I have a ton of cd's including part of my fathers collection that i want to upload. I am testing a few out right now. I need something that will let me encode mp3's at a minimum of 320kbps CBR, i want the highest quality mp3's i can get it.

If you don't mind paying about$50 "for a quality program" I strongly suggest you look at JRiver Media Center 17. Using their 'Secure' ripping mode will give you as high quality of rips as any program out there. JRMC is highly rated in the computer audiophile community.

As others have suggested, do your ripping to FLAC. It's a 'Lossless' form of compression and has the ability to store a lot of metadata with the files. With MC17 you can easily make copies of the files to various MP3 qualities. But keep your originals as FLAC so if you get your computer hooked up to your playback system everything will be available in the best quality.

If you have "A ton" of Cds you will also find it to be by far the best program for organizing your media. It can a times be a little difficult to learn some parts of the program but they also have an excellent & helpful forum.

I started using it just for audio. We now have all our DVDs ripped to it and have switched from SageTV to it for our TV recording and playback. The program has incredible picture quality if you're into such things.

They come out with a new version about once a year, and it is being constantly improved/updated throughout the year.

I'm not on commision but obviously am very pleased with this program.

Rod

Exact Audio Copy. It is as the name says, exact and very anal about getting the rip right. It is also free. If you are going to take the time to do this, rip them as FLAC files, then down convert to mp3 as needed.

That's what I'd use on Windows.

I used abcde on Linux to rip to FLAC (abcde is a frontend program to cdparanoia and other stuff). It can convert to mp3 at the same time and store in a parallel directory tree.

If you don't mind paying about$50 "for a quality program" I strongly suggest you look at JRiver Media Center 17. Using their 'Secure' ripping mode will give you as high quality of rips as any program out there. JRMC is highly rated in the computer audiophile community.

As others have suggested, do your ripping to FLAC. It's a 'Lossless' form of compression and has the ability to store a lot of metadata with the files. With MC17 you can easily make copies of the files to various MP3 qualities. But keep your originals as FLAC so if you get your computer hooked up to your playback system everything will be available in the best quality.

If you have "A ton" of Cds you will also find it to be by far the best program for organizing your media. It can a times be a little difficult to learn some parts of the program but they also have an excellent & helpful forum.

I started using it just for audio. We now have all our DVDs ripped to it and have switched from SageTV to it for our TV recording and playback. The program has incredible picture quality if you're into such things.

They come out with a new version about once a year, and it is being constantly improved/updated throughout the year.

I'm not on commision but obviously am very pleased with this program.

Rod

J.River also works very well with Exact Audio Copy (EAC). I rip using EAC and J.River within seconds automatically adds the file to it's library.