I need a push in the right direction please!

XxCowboyxX

I'm so torn with my current system. I'm really dont know what direction I should take it. I keep hearing that the heritage line is what people strive to get and keep. My system sounds great don't get me wrong but something is lacking. I can't put my finger on it. I was talking about getting 7 lascalas and with my Tuba HT this would be a rocking system but I do not have the desire to track down and mod 7 of them to all sound the same. On the other hand I hear that the heresy iii sounds really well on a stand and it is in my budget if I sold my current speakers to get 7 brand new ones. But then I'm worried if the xpa 5 would be too many watts for them. If I sold the xpa5 I could get a avr that I actually used the amp on but I like the xpa. Ugh :/

• Moderators

I keep hearing that the heritage line is what people strive to get and keep.

It really depends on personal preference. I have no desire to move in the heritage direction, although there are some great speakers in the heritage line.

But then I'm worried if the xpa 5 would be too many watts for them.

I personally would not sell the XPA-5. If you are going to power 7 speakers, there is not an AVR that can adequately drive them to their potential. You cannot have too much power but you can underpower them and cause your receiver to clip, thus causing distortion, thus possibly ruining your speakers. The XPA-5 on the Heresy's would definitely not be a problem. If anything, you would have plenty of headroom which helps prevent your amp from clipping.

• Moderators

The other suggestion I would make is to find someone that has a Heritage Setup and go demo it. The Heresies do not provide anything near the depth that the RF-7ii's have. I'm sure the TubaHT will help out in that area but just saying. You might find that you don't care for the Heresy sound and might prefer the Lascalas or Cornwalls much better.

Any idea what you feel is missing in your setup? Is it Music or Movies that is lacking? Is it 2ch listening that is underwhelming? If so, maybe a great Pre/Pro would be a better move? I personally never did like my Yamaha RX-V1800 for music. HT was fantastic but 2ch was just soso. Much more pleased with the UMC-1.

Keep your amp, it's good enough to drive just about anything. I like my H3s but you have some nice speakers already so you would be spending a lot of money and maybe just making a sideways step. Home theater is tough on the budget, for sure. How about a pair of Cornwalls up front then H3's for the rest?

I seriously think that maybe its the Yamaha and the YPAO that I am dissatisfied with. My music does not sound rich and full at all. Even movies have sort of a background sound instead of in your face like I was hoping. I have heard nothing but good things about the 7's so I bought some. Maybe I should get a receiver that has multieq xt. If I turn my receiver in pure direct mode for music there is literally no bass coming out of the 7's and it sounds like a tin can. Im definitely feeding it high quality material. Very dissapointed :(

I have 4 Chorus lls, 2 Forte lls and 2 Forte's, I could easily run 5.2 or 7.2 Heritage in my theater room but it would not help at all IMO over my RF-7s. For music I give them the edge but it's not drastic like some would have you believe. As a matter of fact on some music the RF-7s shine and some the Chorus lls shine. I would start with the room treatments and the source. You have an Emo amp, why not pick up the UMC for $499 with the latest firmware and give it a shot? Very musical pre/pro that is hard to beat right now at $499. You have 30 days to return it hassle free if you don't like it.

• Moderators

You have 30 days to return it hassle free if you don't like it.

Actually, since they are on Clearance, that is no longer the case.

Taken directly from the Emotiva website...

30-day in-home trial period is unavailable for clearance products.

My music does not sound rich and full at all. Even movies have sort of a background sound instead of in your face like I was hoping.

I'll be the contrary opinion. The Emotiva is not known for it's full rich sound, they are known to be a bit lean. And here's where I jump the shark, put some solid copper speaker wire on that system, and maybe some Kimber PBJ or Timbre interconnects on the amp and CD player. That will get it as good as it's going to get without spending some bucks for new gear.

• Moderators

I'll be the contrary opinion. The Emotiva is not known for it's full rich sound

That would be quite the contrary opinion.

And here's where I jump the shark, put some solid copper speaker wire on that system, and maybe some Kimber PBJ or Timbre interconnects on the amp and CD player.

Lot of money for little or no return. Let the shark attack begin. LOL. Just kidding just kidding. No need to start up a debate. Just havin some good ole fun. [:P]

• 2 months later...

So I switched to a Denon 4311 and I still find something lacking. Argh I'm pulling my hair out. Maybe I will just be happier with the heritage line. How would 3 Lascalas up front sound for home theater use?

I missed the beginning of this thread, you had changed your signature before I saw what Yamaha receiver you had. I had a RX-V663, which was not too high up on the food chain with Yamaha receivers. After owning a couple of different pre/pros after it I can see it did have an empty, not full sound if that makes sense. What you said about the lack of bass reminds me of what I didn't like about YPAO.

I owned a UMC-1 and found it very musical, I am not a UMC-1 fan because I felt the HT side of the fence was lacking from what I found when I compared it to my Onkyo 886 with Audyssey. I owned them both at the same time and ended up selling my UMC-1. I know others like the UMC-1 for HT, but for me I thought it was lacking but that is probably because I didn't tweak it enough and EmoQ was a joke. But I totally would recommend it for music.

I'm not familiar with Denon having never owned one but on paper that thing looks like a beast! You've got Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 which I'd love to try but I'm not willing to spend the money to upgrade to an Onkyo that has it since I'm so happy with the sound I'm getting now (ignorance is probably bliss, and thats good for my wallet!)

Have you always been unhappy with your current set up? Did you own different Klipsch speakers before? I guess I'm wondering (dare I say it) if you like the sound of Klipsch? I know some people don't really like the sound of horns and maybe thats part of the problem? I only ask because you have an awesome system. I'd love to have it in my home and I've owned a few pairs of Cornwalls and Heresy from the original Heritage family and have owned a few pair of Forte IIs from what some call the extended Heritage family and wouldn't think any of them would sound that much better than a pair of RF-7ii, if better at all. I've been waiting for a pair of original RF-7s to surface near me and I'd snap them up just to try them.

I noticed now that you've been a member since Dec 2004 so I'm guessing that this isn't your first rodeo with Klipsch, what did you have before. I had to use the rodeo line because of your user name! [:)]

So I switched to a Denon 4311 and I still find something lacking. Argh I'm pulling my hair out. Maybe I will just be happier with the heritage line. How would 3 Lascalas up front sound for home theater use?

I passed on a pair of Lascalas because they didn't seem to have the bass I'd expect from that big of a speaker. I'd be curious to hear from owners of them what they think too.

[ I've been waiting for a pair of original RF-7s to surface near me and I'd snap them up just to try them.

RF-7s and Chorus and Chorus IIs are the speakers I'd love to try. People that own them are so passionate about them that I think I have to hear it for myself. So far I've loved the Cornwalls the most but they just don't work size wise/aesthetics with my vision of a living room speaker. But the sound is so far my favorite Klipsch. So maybe there is something to that Heritage sound thing!!!

You've got RF-7ii and I'd love to try them to but I think I'm just too tight to pay the price of admission on those, maybe in a few years if the prices drop some.