How is the Harman Kardon AVR 7000?

Kain

Yesterday, I phoned Harman Kardon and asked them if they had the Harman Kardon AVR 8000. The guy said no. He then gave me some long speech that the receiver supports 7.1 and it is not needed as not much supports it. He said that they launched the receiver in Europe and that it was not very popular because people were happy with 5.1 sound and did not need 7.1 sound. He said that I didn't need it either (like he would know). Anyway, I said when are you expecting to have it. He said within a month, maybe. I then asked him if he has the Harman Kardon AVR 7000 and he said yes. He also said that I would be able to audition it.

So, has anyone here heard the Harman Kardon AVR 7000? Does it support Dolby Pro Logic II? Do you think it is a good alternative to the Denon AVR-4802?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I think that the H/K rep you spoke to was correct in his assessment of the consumer "need" for 7.1 systems. If one wishes to gamble on the future of home audio, go ahead and buy the 7.1 set up of your choice. But to me, it clearly is still a gamble. The available supply of software supporting 7.1 is slim. And there is no guarantee that distributors will be pumping 7.1 software into the market anytime soon.

If it were me, and I was pleased overall with the sound of my system, I would not be overly concerned with buying 7.1 capable electronics right now. I'd give the software market some time to catch up with electronics.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

I have the AVR7000 and yes it is a very nice receiver. As compared to the 4802 there should be a very large price difference. I got mine two years ago when they first came out and it was only $1100. If I am not mistaken the 4802 is quite a bit more. The 8000 only has amplification for five channels but it has pre-outs for 6.1. I would not pay more than $1000 for a 7000 today. It is a discontinued model. It does not have Dolby ProLogic II, but it does have Lexicon's Logic7 which is the same principle and I think superior to the Dolby ProLogic II. I have a/b'ed the two of them on the AVR520. That all said the 4802 should be around $2000. If it were me, I would go with the 7000 and use the extra cash elsewhere. That will prohibit you from going with 6.1 or 7.1 in the future, no problem for me. You should also take a look at the Pioneer Elite 47tx and 49tx if you are in the $2000 plus range. Also the B&K 307 and 305 receivers are very nice. There are a ton of Denon faithful here that will tell you to get the 5803 also. I personally find the Denon's lean toward being a bit bright. I have an older AVR2500 Denon and have tried it out with several of my Klipsch speakers and it can be a little too bright for my taste. The build quality and features are very nice though. For the best bass management the 49tx is the clear winner. This is a good problem to have; too many choices in the high end receiver market.

Good luck!!

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!

quote:

Originally posted by decibel man:

I have a/b'ed the two of them on the AVR520.

You lost me, what do you mean?

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon, I am sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that I have listened to the same material in both Logic7 (cinema) and Dolby Prologic II. As you already know the 520 has both. I personally like the Logic7 better than the DPL II. Nice receiver isn't it.

------------------

Enjoy and Happy Listening!