RS 7 Repair Vinyl Peeling

Pete H

Just thought I would post this for anyone else that might have the same problem. One of my RS 7's had the vinyl peeling and I had tried to glue it and use a heat gun to get it back around the edges properly and I just wasn't happy with any of the attempts I make. Last night I decided to rip the bottom vinyl off and paint it using semi gloss black and I brushed it on and then back rolled it with a 1/2" nap roller and it came out looking just like my other one that is perfect. The pic isn't great but trust me this worked great. Side by side they looked the same, even Denise walked by and asked me which one I fixed. Hope it helps someone.

post-34280-13819667391258_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip Pete. I have a pair of white RS-7's that I can now easily convert to black with your method.

I thought about this and to be honest, if I were taking a white pair and making them black I would take the time to tape them off after getting the vinyl off with a heat gun and spray them, even if it's cans of paint and not a gun. You are only talking about 30 minutes more in time and a bit of tape and paper but it will give you a better total finish. I would assume that you need to paint the grills anyway and you will have to carefully spray those or dye them. JMHO, good luck and post some before and after pics.

I thought about this and to be honest, if I were taking a white pair and making them black I would take the time to tape them off after getting the vinyl off with a heat gun and spray them, even if it's cans of paint and not a gun. You are only talking about 30 minutes more in time and a bit of tape and paper but it will give you a better total finish. I would assume that you need to paint the grills anyway and you will have to carefully spray those or dye them. JMHO, good luck and post some before and after pics.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never had grills for my RS-7's and over the years the contrast between the white top & bottom and black motorboard with the copper woofer has grown on me. But if I decide to change the white to black I know I have an inexpensive way to do it.