RCA to Balanced XLR Adapter

Chipp4

Radio Shack has XLR to phone plug transformers. I have an eye on them for another application.

It might well be that you can buy the RS transformer and an adaptor plug to make the proper mating. Watch out for what is male and female in the set up.

If I may be pedantic. The form of connector on the back of most amps is called an RCA "phono" plug. They came into use with electric phono-graphs.

The "phone" plug is the form used on headphones. They were originally used in telephone switchboards. A typical on is a 1/4 inch connector. The miniatures are 1/8 inch or so, used on Walkman's. Or Walkmen, or Walkpersons. Smile.

Phone plugs these days are most often seen with three connections for headphones. The connections are tip, ring, and sleeve. In the two conductor type, like used with a guitar amp, or that transformer, there is only the tip and the sleeve.

Gil

Tblasing, yes the Yamaha P3500 does have 1/4" but once my setup is complete I will be using electronic crossovers with only have XLR.

William, I tried the XLR to 1/4" transformer from Radio Shack and it did not help. I was wanted to make sure something wasnt wrong with the amp so I connected a walkman to it and there was no hum or buzz so it must be coming from the Denon 4800.

I did find a Rolls MB15 active RCA to XLR convertor that sounds like it for this problem. I will have to buy and try it out. Also discovered pro equipment wants a higher signal level than home equipment can provide too.