Front Wide and (or?) Front Height

ldl01031

I have a Pioneer SC-57 receiver. The documentation states

"It is not possible to produce sound simultaneously from the front height speakers and the front wide speakers."

Does this mean I can hook up both - and the system will switch between them as needed for ambient sounds?

Or does this mean I can only use one (FW) or the other (FH)?

Thanks,

-ldl-

I have a Pioneer SC-57 receiver. The documentation states

"It is not possible to produce sound simultaneously from the front height speakers and the front wide speakers."

Does this mean I can hook up both - and the system will switch between them as needed for ambient sounds?

Or does this mean I can only use one (FW) or the other (FH)?

Thanks,

-ldl-

Look at the speaker outs on the back of the receiver. If you have both wide and high, then you can switch from inside the receiver. If not, you disconnect and reconnect to make them work. According to Audyssey, wides are better than high. In fact, they say rears are also better than high.

You can't have the wides and the high's operational at the same time.

This got me digging deeper into the SC-57 manual (I'll have it memorized soon). Apparently, I can have both 'operational' at the same time (it does have terminals for both). From the manual:

"SP: FH/FW ON - Front height or front wide channels are added to the front, center, surround and surround back channels (maximum 7 channels) and a maximum of 9 channels are output. The front height and front wide channels are switched automatically according to the audio input signal."

Assuming this does not mean that based on the source (a given movie for instance), one or the other is exclusively selected, then I guess this means <sigh>, that I have another two speakers to buy...

I ordered a pair of RS-42 II for the front height speakers. I'm done now. I swear.

But - where should I place those puppies?

The seating is about 8 feet from the wall. I'm a little confused as to how the recommended '45 degrees up' should be measured.

I can place them anywhere up to 7'5" up (middle of speaker) but only at about a 20 degree angle (because of a window).

If I place them at the ceiling (8'5" up, middle of speaker) then I can go out much wider. I've seen advice that they should go above the front speakers (30 degrees) but I've also seen an Audyssey diagram placing them between the fronts and front-wides (at 45 degrees). Should I go with 45 degrees but 8'5" up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC 35 in a 9.1 setup. I use Front Height speakers and surround back. The avr selects which speakers to use based on the movie I am watching. The 9.1 setup is great for movies due to the various formats available for DVD and Blu-ray. I use Klipsch VS 14 surround speakers for my Front Height. I have also used Klipsch VB 15 for Front Height, for me there was not much difference in SQ for movies or music. I prefer the VS 14's for asthetic purposes. Front Height speakers are great for music because it has the effect of making the towers larger due to the vertical imaging. The tower's should be louder than the height speaker, so imaging should not be a major concern. Either (bookshelf / surround) type of speakers will work well. Get both, and start expeirementing, since that is what a lot of us like doing. In your setup, you are going to love listening to music in the extended stero mode, surround sound from all your speakers at once, simply fantastic!