Which sub should I get for my computer for christmas?

SuBXeRo

I got myself a pair of klipsch wb-14's for my computer and I love them. They have a good low end for this size bookshelf but they definitly don't have that low end like a sub can produce. I have set my budget at $400 for this escapade and have narrowed my search down to 2 options, the HSU STF-2 or the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact

My search criteria is based on the fact that it will be under my desk most likely so something huge an obtrusive wouldnt work and a sealed forward firing sub would be too direct in its bass dispersion. Its been in my experience that downward firing or something with a rear port works great because the wall behind it tends to help reflect the bass and give me an enveloping experience from under my desk.

I have also realized that these are both basically the same sub. I caught a thread in my travels that they are basically the same with slight changes and in this case the ports are in different places. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one to go with as far as the rear firing port found on the HSU or the downward firing port on the Outlaw Audio. Both are basically, almost to a T, the same exact price.

I agree with the Hsu recommendation. It's heavier which is always good and the form factors are pretty similar. Ported is going to give you more bang for the buck if power is constant so I think that'd be the way to go for your setup.

What are you using to power your wb-14's? I've always wondered what a computer system would sound like if it was powered by something like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300

i have them powered by a Harman kardon 3370 stereo receiver. This is my trusty 10 year old receiver that i love to death and it sounds excellent.

I think im gonna go for the HSU. Im usually a fan of the "heavier is better" in audio, if anything it makes me feel better.

I dont need a high powered sub, i just need something that wont slouch at medium volumes and has som good extension. As its for music, the gain wont be very high anyways so that it fits fluidly into my system.

Also, tripath amps were great in theory but in practice, they just cant compete against a true receiver or amp a, a/b or d in class.

or i could get the Energy VSW10 from vanns for 349 with free shipping wheres as the two others come out at 400 flat. ideas? I know its not downfiring, but it has more rated power it appears and might dig a bit deeper? Its the veritas subwoofer so it should have some meat to it.

Seems like a great deal with the 750 off they're currently running. At MSRP, I'd never consider it. I'd be tempted to go that route while the special is running.

I haven't personally heard either one so I'm not really qualified to give an opinion on which sub is better. On paper the Energy looks to be the better sub, in reality??? HSU has a great following, reviews and customer support. Those things are well documented. I've not read a lot about Energy subs.

Anyone who pays retail for that Energy sub is off their rocker. It's $350 on Amazon, too. Not too shabby.

You've picked 3 very solid subs in that price range. I'd still stick with Hsu and never look back, but the other two options are not bad options, either. The downfiring seems like it's suited to you better in case you accidentally kick the woofer on the side firing Energy sub.

i wanna try the energy because its got more power and i want to say a more versatile sub over all. I am really swaying towards the HSU because its downfiring and a rear port and for my application. I know subs are omnidirectional, but in a way i think its complete bull because a downfiring sub isnt aimed at any certain position but down and will always have that static space between it and the floor.

HSU it is! I will let you all know what i think of it after i get it.