Is 18awg too small for my KL-650s and XPA-3?

manthatsnice

Hey guys,

Really worried. Just realized my contractor installed 18 awg for my speakers (KL-650s and KS-525s). I'll be running an XPA-3 as well so I am REALLY worried.

If I am to change out these wires, what size do I need. I need to do it immediately to avoid some serious construction issues.

Thanks so much for your help,

Cory

I ran 12, but truthfully I think 14 is just fine. I have older equipment and 12 wont even fit in the back of some older equipment. 18 is very much on the edge of what would be acceptable. It will work, but I probably wouldn't accept anything less than 16 if I knew about it on the front side. I hope the drywall isn't up yet? Wire isn't cheap, but its worth doing if you can get to it. If not, I'd just live with the 18 and be pissed. If you approach your contractor he'll tell you its fine because most of them dont know boo about A/V systems.

... If you approach your contractor he'll tell you its fine because most of them dont know boo about A/V systems.

^^^this

I'm looking into it further. They claim they ran 16 so I need to double check. Think I would be ok with 16?

If not, I think I'm going to wait until everything is finished (dw is up and painted) and then run wire myself. I have attic space above so it won't kill me.

Why would the length of the wire run be predicated on the resistance on the load? Is it the resistance of the wire in addition to the load? Not sure why the applicable distances would be 1/2 for a 4 ohms load, I would think it would be the other way around...clarifications?

Hi Cory,

The following link is a great resource for wire info. According to the table in the fourth section down, the max length for 18 awg is 32' for 8 ohms.

Years ago, we wired entire audio listening rooms with 18awg wire. Each run was about 25'. Paul Klipsch and, then, factory rep, John Fricks, were visiting when we were wiring the new studio and helped us solder connectors on all the speaker runs.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

Your amp is 200 wpc. You can run 18 guage wire no more than 75' before you reach the 1db loss threshold. As stated before, make sure whatever you use is rated for in-wall. Here is a wire calculator: Speaker Wire Calculator

Personally, I would rather see you using some 14 guage. I run 14 to my LaScalas, and the longest run is about 125'. My amp is the Integra 70.1

Years ago, we wired entire audio listening rooms with 18awg wire. Each run was about 25'. Paul Klipsch and, then, factory rep, John Fricks, were visiting when we were wiring the new studio and helped us solder connectors on all the speaker runs.

Years ago, I used 18awg wire with my speakers, but when I started using 14awg or larger wire, I found the speakers sounded noticeably better, especially on transients like drumbeats and handclaps.

Nowadays, I'd call 14awg a minimum. The smallest wire in my system today is 12awg for centre and surrounds, with larger sizes going to my main speakers.