After 30+ years of wanting, finally a Cornwall owner...

Alpha220

My story isn't unlike that of many others. As a teenager, I was introduced to Klipsch Cornwalls by essentially an audio store "pusher". Why on Earth would he otherwise let a kid into the "high end" room? I had been plenty content with my Nikko NR-1219 receiver (110wpc) and a set of 3-way Cerwin-Vegas with 12" woofers. But he led me into that room. It was 1980 and I was 16.

There's no way I should have been looking at and listening to a Nikko separates stack and a pair of rosewood Cornwalls, but there I was. Nothing else sounded so sweet or right. It took about a year or so, but eventually I traded in and up to the beautiful and all balck Nikko stack (Alpha 220, Beta 20, Gamma 20). I simply couldn't have purchased those Cornwalls or fit them in my bedroom. As it was, the Nikko stack plus the Vegas were rattling windows and cracking plaster. I still have the Nikkos. As was put in a review on another forum of the Nikko & Cerwin-Vega combination, "Nasty, Nasty!"

By the time I bought my house in the 90's, I had been brainwashed by all the audiophile info that I had read. I never forgot about the Cornwall sound, but assumed it was likely due to 16 year old ears and tastes. I picked up very highly rated Snell Type D's which I have used and loved until yesterday.

I came across an eBay auction for a pair of local, gorgeous Cornwalls in oiled walnut (same as my Snells), one owner since new. My house has been expanded and they would now fit. Yes I was the highest bidder and yes I picked them up and hooked them up the same day, yesterday.

First let me say, I didn't remember them being quite that big. Cornwalls are huge. They almost look ridiculous, but that didn't stop me from loading up the minivan! The sound. Just incredible, just as I remember it. I listened to music all night. The whole family was dancing. Low level, high levels, the music just sounds right. I'm happy and at peace with my audio equipment. Klipsch, I've come home! (They're playing right now.)

post-54067-13819683954476_thumb.jpg

Congratulations: on your great find and upon realizing your expectations from your first listen were true. It is a very special feeling to know that you really did hear exactly what you knew you did all those years ago and that you recognised it right away. I had a similar experience at 18 listening to a pair of Belles which belonged to a friends brother.

Welcome to a really great forum with so much information experience and good will this is a special forum. Nice to have you here. Remember that these are your first Klipsch speakers. It is hard to stop and very easy to try another pair. All well worth your time and effort.. Happy listening and Merry Klipschmas. Best regards Moray James.

It was 1980 and I was 16.

Anyone that waits that long for gratification deserves "The Road Less Travelled" award.

First let me say, I didn't remember them being quite that big. Cornwalls are huge. They almost look ridiculous, but that didn't stop me from loading up the minivan! The sound. Just incredible, just as I remember it. I listened to music all night. The whole family was dancing. Low level, high levels, the music just sounds right. I'm happy and at peace with my audio equipment. Klipsch, I've come home! (They're playing right now.)

Very cool. This is a good Christmas.[<:o)]

Chris