1980 Cornwalls CWO!

Musicman

I think it's terribly naive to blame the lack of quality in today's manufactured goods on 'Liberalism" or unions or the ACLU (I've been a memeber in good standing for 30 years). The ACLU is there to defend EVEYONE's constituanally guarateed civil rights-- NOT just the rights of "Liberals!"

One reason why were are having CRAP forced down our throats is becasue of the terrible short-sightedness of American business leaders who have sold "quality" down the river in the hopes of making SHORT-TERM profits to impress Wall Street. And the consumer shares some of this blame as well--most of us are not willing to pay for high-quality goods any more and as retailers and manufacuteres of mass-market goods are forced to compete only on price we all end up with Chinese and Indonesian goods made of inferior raw materials assembled by slave labor. Shame on us.

Allen at the age of 66 one thing I'm not is naive. I agree with you in part on most issues but you're out to lunch on the A.C.L.U. issue and Unions also. As a skilled craftman myself I have watched unions protect people for 50 years that had no business having a job with their attitude. Lazy people need to get hungry and then their values will change. As for the A.C.L.U. they're nothing but a bunch of liberal attorney wantabees hiding behind the A.C.L.U. namesake. We are going to loose America because of this. I was at Ruby Ridge when our government sent in 400 hired killers to assasinate Randy Weaver for basically doing nothing. You can condone that if you like but not me and I certainly wouldn't think anyone else who ever went to war for their country would either. I realize this is getting off the speaker subject but it all fits into why we aren't what we used to be. Liberalism!

I know something about Unions too! I run a shop with over 40 union employees. While it might be true that the union is there to fight for and "protect" every memebers'job--even if the member is an inept piece of crap employee, I have had NO trouble getting rid of bad employees and have lost only one grievence in the last 12 years. Even though I am "the owner," I actually prefer a union workforce in some ways--these guys show up every day, put in an honest day's work, are glad to have a job that pays a living wage ($15.53 to 21.07 per hour) and are thus able to put some money back into the economy.

Just so you don't forget--who do you think went to bat for the KKK's right to march in Skokie a few years back? That's right--the ACLU! Funny that a bunch of "wanntobe Liberal lawyers" were there to defend the rights of a wack-o right-wing bunch of nuts like the KKK to assemble and march? The ACLU is there for ALL of us and will try to protect EVERYONE'S civil rights! I know this might be hard to swallow, but it's true. It's a GREAT American organization that I am PROUD to be a member of!

Musicman,

I usually avoid political statements but.......America is in real trouble when people think "labels" are the cause or the cure of any problem. I served in the miltary for "ALL" Americans. Each person is an individual, so is each problem and solution. Thankfully we as a country AREN'T what we used to be, or many people would not have the rights supposedly afforded all Americans by the Constitution. Liberal or Conservative, who cares, what are you doing to make America a better place for all people, not just those who think as you do? That's what America is supposed to be about. People from all different social, politcal, economic, ethnic, religious, racial, and gender backrounds working TOGETHER to create a better life and opportunities for ALL. Wake up!

Klipsch out.

I see, that must be why the government sent in 400 hired killers to whack Randy Weaver at Ruby Ridge,Idaho. I was there and it wasn't pretty. And I guess the World Trade Center fell down from old age. If you're not questioning these things happening in America, why not? The difference in our thinking is due to the generations between us. You will see but too late.

• 20 years later...
2 hours ago, Cricket said:

I just came into a Klipsch speaker set with a set of cwo Cornwall speakers I'm trying to sell I am wanting someone who will appreciate them

you'll have to list them on the Garage sale  , location and asking price is VIP

ok i gotta ask... what does this "VIP" stand for?  it's been used quite a few times lately but only thing ive ever heard VIP used for is "very important person" which doesnt work for any of the posts its been used in.  is this some new fangled or made up meaning? 

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2002 at 7:47 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

DJK...that is pure "bullshit"!...no way can the miter joints split on those older style cabinets just because of a lumber core problem....the glue must fail in the joint itself, AND the reinforcing glue blocks inside the cabinet in the corners(which use a DIFFERENT GLUE) must have BOTH the glue AND the staples fail....that just doesn't happen. The only reason for the move to MDF was in lower cost for the materials...PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! Quality lumber-core plywood is very expensive!! MDF is very inexpensive!

As a matter of fact, the odds of MDF failing in a miter joint are always EXTREMELY higher than lumber core at any time, because the MDF has no lengthy fiber structure to tie into...it is just sawdust and binder...and ANYBODY who has ever worked with it AND lumbercore will tell you the same thing!!!

And another thing...the mitered edges of the lumber core are crosscut across the lumbercore...making the likelyhood of such a failure even less possible than if the lumbercore had been ripped at the miter!!...that is standard practice when using lumber core so that the end grain of the lumbercore soaks up plenty of glue making a tighter bond...a bond you WILL NOT GET with MDF!!!

Whoever told you that was the reason for the change was feeding you a bigtime line of bull!!! Ask any experienced woodworker!!...Besides, Klipsch would never do a complete changeover in materials for just one batch being bad...AND, it is never a batch when dealing with lumbercore, it would possibly just be an instance or two out of an entire batch!!...even then it is highly unlikely!!

Much more likely a few speakers were assembled after the fast-drying brown glue in the miter had already set up too far OR the glue had been mixed up way too thin...and the builder wanted to pass it off as a wood problem instead of his own worthlessness in assembling it up that way or his laziness to go mix up another batch of brown glue when the batch he was using was already far too set-up or way too thin...either way he was a sorry excuse for a builder. BUT a total miter failure would STILL require a failure in the glue blocks, the staples, and the white glue used on the glue blocks that reinforce the miter joint from the inside!!

Still, NOT a valid reason for the changeover...trust me...it was SOLELY due to cost of materials!!! Most likely the cost of lumbercore rose again and the decision was made to do like JBL and the rest of the speaker manufacturers had already been doing for twenty years....and change over to MDF at a much lower cost than the lumbercore!!...WITH an automatic increase in profit per unit built due to the savings in materials!!

Anybody who claims the changeover was due to a lumberbore failure is blowing smoke up somebody's arse...Nuff Said!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-15-2002 at 09:09 AM

Can you email me please

hmortman@comcast.net

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, HowieM said:

Hoping to speak to HdBR builder about my speakers please

I don't believe he has been on for several months. He is certainly the go to guy for all things on woodworking and restoration of Heritage Speakers. However, there other folks here that can assist you if you post your question in the "Technical/Restoration section of the Forum.

Travis

I noticed this thread started 20 years ago. I have a pair of vintage Cornwall‘s what I believe 1980 or 79 serial number 19T191 and 2. I sold Oreo back in the 70s and could not afford these back then but found this pair for $500 in 2014. This shows it was inspected by Randy and tested by Bradford.