Is this a good deal for LP12?

twu

You did good! You can't touch a new TT with that quality for anywhere near that price!

Here is the description for anyone who missed it.....

" Serial #24xxx. With Valhalla power supply and Linn Basik Plus tonearm.
Considering that a brand new, entry-level LP12 costs $3,750 with a less
sophisticated power supply (plus $275 for a dustcover – how about the
balls on Linn!) you should really buy this one instead. I recently
cleaned, polished, touched up wherever possible and reassembled the
suspension, put on a new belt and changed the oil (leftover oil will be
included). You’re welcome. "

Keep us posted and we want pictures of your new table in your set up! [<:o)]

Dennie

Interesting conversaton I'm having with the seller. I told him I'm fairly new to Linn and TT and he suggested we cancel the transaction because he thinks I'm better off with a Rega or some other TT that doesn't require a whole lot of setup. Is it that complicated? By the way, I have an engineering background. I acknowledge that doesn't neccessarily mean I'm qualified, but does it take a dealership or expert to set it up?

• Like 1

Interesting conversaton I'm having with the seller. I told him I'm fairly new to Linn and TT and he suggested we cancel the transaction because he thinks I'm better off with a Rega or some other TT that doesn't require a whole lot of setup. Is it that complicated? By the way, I have an engineering background. I acknowledge that doesn't neccessarily mean I'm qualified, but does it take a dealership or expert to set it up?

Well, we're not going to hold the "engineering background" against you! Although, that tends to complicate it a little. .... rolling.gif

It is a lot of tedious work. You are going to need some gauges and alignment tools, but I think you can do it and I don't even know you.

If you think you can do it, you can do it. Take a look at this page.... TURNTABLE SET UP

It's a bit of work, but you will know your table when your done and that's priceless.

Dennie

The main perceived problem for Linn, is getting the suspension spot on. The platter is affixed to a steel plate that also holds the tone arm mounting and has 3 set of springs/grommets. They all need to all play together and align properly with the planets, based on a star sighting taken exactly on the Meridian at 7:17 PM on June 21 of each year. Now the British know that at anything produced in England (or, I think, in this case Scotland) is going to be a bit fiddly and odd. However, for us Cousins across the Pond, it translates into aligning the top plate with the upper edge of the base, or a height of 3/16's from the bottom of the plate, equally aligned on all 3 springs and level across the plate.

To accomplish this you will need to use your engineering skills to build a frame, since, for some other odd British reason, the adjustment of the springs must take place from underneath, a suprising stupidity that has follow Linn across the years.

Seriously, it's odd as hell but when done right will sound pretty damn good. After all it was ripped off directly by a disgruntled employee of Ariston, said individual, who through connivery, thievery, and better (meaning bigger lies) marketing has prospered long since Ariston bit the dust.

It's is my understanding the the basic arm does not match up well with heavier carts, so probably best for MM carts, rather than MC carts.Since I have an Ariston, the originator of the same thing, feel free to ask alignment questions here. Other salso own these and will give you a hand with setup.

The table is easily better than current production entry-level tt;s like the Rega.

The main perceived problem for Linn, is getting the suspension spot on. The platter is affixed to a steel plate that also holds the tone arm mounting and has 3 set of springs/grommets. They all need to all play together and align properly with the planets, based on a star sighting taken exactly on the Meridian at 7:17 PM on June 21 of each year. Now the British know that at anything produced in England (or, I think, in this case Scotland) is going to be a bit fiddly and odd. However, for us Cousins across the Pond, it translates into aligning the top plate with the upper edge of the base, or a height of 3/16's from the bottom of the plate, equally aligned on all 3 springs and level across the plate.

To accomplish this you will need to use your engineering skills to build a frame, since, for some other odd British reason, the adjustment of the springs must take place from underneath, a suprising stupidity that has follow Linn across the years.

Seriously, it's odd as hell but when done right will sound pretty *** good. After all it was ripped off directly by a disgruntled employee of Ariston, said individual, who through connivery, thievery, and better (meaning bigger lies) marketing has prospered long since Ariston bit the dust.

It's is my understanding the the basic arm does not match up well with heavier carts, so probably best for MM carts, rather than MC carts.Since I have an Ariston, the originator of the same thing, feel free to ask alignment questions here. Other salso own these and will give you a hand with setup.

The table is easily better than current production entry-level tt;s like the Rega.

This is the best deal on a near-mint model that I've ever seen. I've only been hanging out online a coupla years but this is a bonifide good deal. I have a number of nce decks but the LP-12 is the last object of my lust that could be a last-ditch scroe if I found one in the ballpark, I seriously doubt I'd do this good though. Good luck getting it set up properly, and if you don't like it don't hesitate to send it to me. HAHA!!!

The Thorens TD-125 suspension has to be adjusted this way as well. I use a couple of scrap two by fours set on edge. This allows enough room to adjust the three springs while the platter is in place and the bottom off. Crude but effective just like the design. The OP's engineering skills may help here as the process is similar to leveling a surveying instrument. I am assuming the designers felt 3 springs were better than four for ulitimate accuracy, but I have my doubts how that translates in real world use.

Undoubtedly an excellent deal, the seller may be having a bit of sellers remorse having had those who lost out telling him how much more it was worth.

Undoubtedly an excellent deal, the seller may be having a bit of sellers remorse having had those who lost out telling him how much more it was worth.

I think so too. He kept trying to convince me that I was not fit to own the LP12 and that I should buy his Axis or a Rega instead. He may be right but I'd like to be the judge of that after I try it out. So the idea is to build a frame of the same demension as the plinth and adjust the suspension prior to installing it?

• Like 1

So the idea is to build a frame of the same demension as the plinth and adjust the suspension prior to installing it?

You could go to that degree and that would be good.

I don't have a LP12 [:(] but with the Thorens the bottom of the base is simply a sheet of masonite that can be removed exposing the suspension. I position the base on some short pieces of 2"X4" wood so there is enough clearence under to reach my hand under and adjust the springs to level. Not perfect but seems to work fine.

The idea is to raise the frame evenly so that without the base you can get underneath it to turn the screws to level the suspension to achieve the correct bounce. I have used 3 identical large cans(tomato juice) to do it . you need room to get your hand/arm/ screwdriver under there freely.