Weird problem with TEAC stereo receiver

Hello all,

I am new to the forum but have found it to be a great reference for research regards to Klipsch speakers. A little history about my experience with klipsch, my father has had a pair of klipsch heresy II's and I have grown up with them. I just recently found myself a great pair of first generation heresy I's with a 1979 klipsch driver and other klipsch components. I am going to school at corning community college (New York) for electrical technology currently.

My problem is with the receiver I am using, a pretty big not too old teac receiver which works great. However, when I have two speakers plugged in the "A" inputs, and turn the receiver on and play something, at first the sound only comes through one speaker or both and one will be noticeably quieter than the other. Eventually the other one will warm up or something and they both will be at regular volume.

Can anyone provide me with any insight as to what this problem might be caused by? I have decided to try putting the speakers into the"B" inputs instead to see if that fixes the problem (haven't tried yet but maybe one of the "A" inputs is bad?). Any help or opinions would be really appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any advice for a first time Klipsch Heresy owner I would love to hear it.

Thank you,

Jon Donadio

<snip>I am going to school at corning community college (New York) for electrical technology currently.<snip>

I guess I'll be your instructor for Troubleshooting 101. I am overly rigorous and demanding, but not as demanding as the wonderful word of "fixing it yourself". You can't fudge here. You can't talk your way into or out of anything. It either works or it doesn't. There is stuff in the receiver that can kill you.

First, let's get the terminology down. I think the speakers connect to "outputs" since the signal flows from the receiver to the speakers. What does the panel label say?

Your idea of connecting the speakers to the "B" outputs is an excellent idea.

One of the first steps might be drawing a block diagram of the receiver. Any section that you can isolate using either front panel controls or back panel connectors should be drawn as well as said connectors and controls. Follow the signal path, design and execute a series of tests using only the controls and connectors to determine which sections of the receiver are working correctly and which are suspect. Once you narrow the suspect sections, You'll have to get brave and open up the receiver. Do not do this alone. There's stuff in there that can kill you. Find someone (a *lab* instructor at school, perhaps) with experience to guide you. You might want to search the 'net for a schematic diagram (have they taught those in school yet?).

Let us know what you learn from the wounded receiver...

Thanks Greg and Russ for the suggestions. I will try switching to the B panel OUTPUTS today and see if that makes any difference. I just finished my first semester at school and in Electricity and electricity lab we pretty much just learned the basics: building &analyzing dc, ac, circuits. The last lab was on building and analyzing an RLC circuit. If it comes to the point where I need to open up the receiver I will (and good idea to do that at the lab with some people at school) but I don't know if I am far enough through the program to be able to do this yet, but it would really be a great learning experience. Another thing I really want to do with my education is to eventually fix this (i think its a 83) Roland Juno 106. It works fine but there is a faint oscillator note that always plays in the background, I even had it repaired before and ordered a new part that would apparently fix it offline and had a guy at House Of Guitars (Rochester, NY) replace it. However, the problem eventually came back. So since I am a musician and a music lover, it would be great to be able to fix electronic gear, such as receivers, speakers, etc. Anyways thanks again I really appreciate the great feedback. Jon