Amplifier Upgrade?

Since 1985 I have had nothing but Klipsch speakers, that will never change. To best explain my problem let me tell you about my equipment. My front speakers are the LaScala's - Two piece, 7ply Birch, the rears are the original Heresy's, the center channel is the Academy and my subs are two each, KSW 12's. I have a Onkyo Receiver that i primarily use only as a pre-amp. I use the Onkyo pre-out connections for my THREE Crown Amps. I bought these amps new in the 90s and they have been dependable. I use the Crown PB-2 for the LaScala's the PB-1 for the Heresy's and the Crown PS-400 for the Academy Center Channel. I feel it is time to make some improvements and would like to get rid of the Onkyo receiver and purchase a intergrated Tube amplifier. Tube amplifiers are new to me, so what should i do to drive the rear speakers and the center channel? Constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure many will chime in shortly in regards to tube integrated's. I've had no experience with tube equipment but from much reading and differing opinions a good SS state device may also be the improvement you're looking for. I'd like to give tubes a try but with the added cost of tube equipment SS seems to be the best investment.

you need 5 tube channels that are basically the same....otherwise you HT imagining won't be quite right due to the differences in gain from amps that are different models or same power and different manufactures.

I have 5 mono blocks (2X250WPC and 3 X 350WPC) made by the same company doing exactly what you are thinking. pretty big foot print.....takes up a lot of space....44 power tubes all in all. you still need an HT pre becuase of he decoder you need to get 5 channels. lots of cables all over the place and crazy tactic's to keep the power runs coming in from the right and the signal runs coming in from the left.

I also have two 7 channel HT recievers. an onkyo TS-DS989 (130wpc X7) and an onkyo NR-1000 (160wpcX7), great sound, small foot print, no crazy wire lay out, the NR-1000 has independent decoders for each channel.

You certainly can achieve much better sound with better amps and a good pre-amp. Multi-channel is hard to do with tube gear. With 5 or 7 channels, that's a lot of amps, a lot of heat and it takes a lot of space. If it was me I'd get a good 5 channel amp like a Parasound A51, then save up for a better pre-amp. On the other hand seven tube mono blocks would be really cool (or really hot).