RF7 tube recommendations

lancethibault

I own RF-7s powered by quicksilver mini mites. (25W)

The mini mites will take EL34, KT90, KT88, KT77, KT66, mini.jpg 6550 or 6L6 output tubes.

They currently have their original EL34s in them. It think it sounds good, but I'm willing to make a change.

Any suggestions? Any idea what changes I might expect to hear with a different type of tube?

A little more bass would be nice. Would I need more power for that?

Thanks.

I have wondered on more than one occasion how this interesting speaker might respond with the Transcendent Sound T16 or SEOTL amplifier in front of it. I regret I've never heard the RF-7, but the Transcendent amps on Klipschorns and La Scalas, for me, are a special match.

....but then there is the vintage Baldwin organ amp I recently rebuilt. Transformer coupled as it is, that thing was truly a jaw dropper. This last one sent on to a good friend, I have another on the bench (okay, it's actually upside down on the floor awaiting surgery..), and I can't wait to get going on it! The RF-7 is an elegant and very interesting looking speaker.

The mini mites will take EL34, KT90, KT88, KT77, KT66, mini.jpg 6550 or 6L6 output tubes.

They currently have their original EL34s in them. It think it sounds good, but I'm willing to make a change.

Any suggestions? Any idea what changes I might expect to hear with a different type of tube?

Thanks.

KT-90's would wake them up.

Thanks.

KT-90's would wake them up.

I am a newbie and have read how RF7's like power. How are tube amps able to power a speaker rated 250-1000 watt when many people on this forum recommend power amp with significantly more watt? Does this have something to do with impedance since the RF 7's can dip down to 2.8 ohms at certain frequencies?

103db efficientcy.

They play plenty loud and and sound good with 25W.

I used to have a high gain 300W solid state amp powering them. I thought it sounding great. The bass was fantastic, but because of the gain on the amp I had next to nothing for volume control. I could literally use about 1/8 or less of the volume knob. At 1/4 turn you had to make a hell of an effort to understand what the person yelling to you from 4 ft away was saying. It was painful and very very unrealistic for everyday use.

I wish I could have that bass with the volume control I have now.

I'd really like to try the Quicksilver Silver 88s, but unless I get get for .25 on the dollar, that isn't gonna happen.

I'm partial to quicksilvers hand wiring, no circuit boards, keep it simple style.