Check out my new gear on You Tube...

Dylanl

Sounds like computer speakers.

Sorry couldn't help it, COOL looking setup. Cool Love them big fat amps.Yes

Here's a linky to make it easier

I said I recorded it with a IPAD which is not recording equipment. Anyway it was just to show the equipment. I will do better next time with the video!

• Moderators

Sounds like computer speakers.

Sorry couldn't help it, COOL looking setup. Cool Love them big fat amps.Yes

Here's a linky to make it easier

I said I recorded it with a IPAD which is not recording equipment. Anyway it was just to show the equipment. I will do better next time with the video!

I know I was just kidding, I was listening on computer speakers. The video is fine.

I WISH there was a way to really hear what someones setup sounds like. many times I thought " i wish people could really hear what this sounds like", even a great recording does not give you the feel of the room.

• Moderators

Dual SVS Cylinders subwoofers but they are not running on this track

I was surprised to see the SVS in the video, I have never seen them in white before and they just caught my eye, after that big hunk of expensive iron on the floor.

Very nice. [H]

You can get a decent recording out of YouTube if you use the right gear and pay particular attention to the media formats during the rendering process.

Mic'ing is always a fussy process, given the disconnect between what sounds good to your ear vs. an absolutley indiscriminate device sporting a flat response. Checking out what actually makes it onto the recording is pretty much a given, and the final recording had better be pristine. YouTube will scrub the audio and add noise or a "watermark" of sorts on top of any of the original's distortion. It's subtle, but audible and the better the source, the better the final print.

Per usual, headphones are required to play back the entire frequency range.

What I use:

Canon GL1 (miniDV format)

Firewire straight into the laptop using iMovie

Export as .dv file

Compress and render as a .flv using the following audio settings:

.mp3 encoding

Bitrate 192 Kbps

Sampling rate 44.1 KHz

2 pass VBR

That's what was used on the video above. There's even better tricks, but using .flv yields a small file that renders and uploads quickly, with better than average results.

Dual SVS Cylinders subwoofers but they are not running on this track

I was surprised to see the SVS in the video, I have never seen them in white before and they just caught my eye, after that big hunk of expensive iron on the floor.

Very nice. Cool

I never seen them in white either. Musta been a color option...

They look nice in a white corner. They don't look as obnoxious.

Listening to YouTube recordings of speakers (as Dtel indicates) is questionable on a computer, due to "computer speakers." It's nothing like watching an ad for an HD TV on an HD TV where the picture on the TV in the ad looks way better than the picture on your TV.[;)]

Listening to YouTube recordings of speakers (as Dtel indicates) is questionable on a computer, due to "computer speakers." It's nothing like watching an ad for an HD TV on an HD TV where the picture on the TV in the ad looks way better than the picture on your TV.Wink

Just as looking at a person in a picture through the eyes of a lens and a pass through Photoshop is questionable due to all sorts of "variables", right? It will still get you in the ball park. [Y]

Last time I was at work, the cafe, or the airport, of those persons who had laptops, none were listening to their speakers. They were all plugged into their headphones.[8]

You have to get past the beginning of the song to really hear it. About at 31 secs in you can hear the tweeters and bass much better.

I'm really glad you posted the video. I think it's a cool song and that it turned out just fine.

Pictures are worth a thousand words sure, but hey with video and audio we can communicate an idea by an order of magnitude. I can appreciate the work that goes into posting a vignette, as making a really good one is not a benign or cheap process.