Use an SVS Driver in Car Sub?

dougdrake

--- DUPLICATE OF POST IN GENERAL ?S, WHICH IS GETTING NO RESPONSES Smile.gif ----------

Hi all - I just upgraded my SVS sub with the new driver they made available to owners of subs with the original driver.

My daughter asked if the old driver (a 12" woofer) would be suitable for use in a standard sub box (like the kind you buy off the shelf at Best Buy) in the trunk of her car.

I have read about the importance of having a proper cabinet with the right interior volume, etc, etc... when building a sub, so I didn't know how to answer her.

Would it work OK? Thanks.

Doug

------------------

My System

You could do it , but there are several things to consider. #1 It is made to create a smooth response in a large room. Consider how large a car interior is in relation to your listening room. A vehicle interior, will on average, have a natural gain of approx 12 db per octave starting at 50 - 60 hertz. What this means is that if you tried to put this in the enclosure it came in , packaged to fit the car, the freq's of 30 hz would be 12 db louder than 60 hz, 15hz would be 24 db louder than 60 hz etc. This would not make for a very pleasing sound! The ultra low frequencies generated would probably make you sick as the interior will provide cabin gain down to practically dc ( 0 hz ). #2 Where would you put such a beast? You could possibly obtain the theil-small parameters from svs and run them through a box program to see the response in different enclosures. It may be possible to make it work , but my odds are that it won't work that great. I once purchased some 8 " 'famous maker woofers ' from parts express for a home audio project. The woofers ( meant for home use, but 4 ohm ) had a very smooth roll off @ 60 hz in a .8 cu ft box. I thought -- nice , we'll throw one in my car and see what it does! To my surprise, one 8" woofer had a much smoother response than my jbl dual 10 " box, ( home built overdamped ). The single 8 " was able to muster low frequencies well below what the dual 10" could reach! In a house, the single 8 could only muster 50 hz at best, with a much lower spl than a 60 hz tone.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn't realize there was that much to it. I am amazed at the cabin effect you describe!

I guess I don't think of this driver as any more of a beast than the 12" woofers that are sold for car audio applications (Rockford, Sony, CV, etc... come to mind). Is it that different?

Doug

------------------

My System

Doug,

I think if you built the proper size box the SVS woofer would work just fine in a car. Remember there are many people now with 6 or more 15" subs in their vehicles powered by thousands of watts and they don't find it to loud. You have the driver so some wood would'nt cost much to experiment with.

Doug, also it might be a good idea to check with Tom Vodhanel about how well that driver would stand up to the intense heat that car speakers are designed to handle. Tom will probably comment on its potential in the smaller confines of a vehicle. -HornED

Thanks for all the inputs, folks. With our current schedules, I think neither my daughter nor myself are inclined to take on a speaker building project at this time. If I could successfully drop it in a $60 box from a car audio store, great, but otherwise...

thus, I am lead to offer it for sale. Anyone want to buy a gently used SVS 12" woofer about 1 year old?

Doug

------------------

My System

I was pondering the idea of putting one of the old SVS drivers in my car also. What kind of drop of should I try to get in my car to compensate for cabin gain? I've had trouble getting getting decent bass in my car because it has a metal plate behind the back seat and underneath the rear deck, so should I look for a lower drop off point and rely less on cabin gain?

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE

Fabulous,

You will have to cut some of that metal (must be European Car)so the bass driver can play through the seat. Plus if you run the sub your rear deck speakers will be acting like passive radiators and will over excurt (found this out the hard way myself)

Once you cut the metal you need to make sure the box you build fits up the the hole and use foam to seal around to keep speaker pressure going into car and not trunk.

There's my 2 cents.