PV-800 Subwoofer Humming

SteveB

Greetings,

Well, I started a long thread with my last question, I am hoping I can spur the same discussion with this. I recently upgraded my powered sub from a Boston Acoustic PV-600 to a PV-800.

Specs here-

PV-600

PV-800

I had no problems with the old sub (PV-600) other than it didn't quite fill my room enough. Now when I got the PV-800, this thing emits a humming sound which only increases when I turn the dial on the sub itself to a higher output level. I emailed the company but no response yet. I checked all my connections, everything is ok. My line to the sub is a single AP-053 made by Acoustic Research, if that makes a difference.

I am looking for any input as to what may be causing this problem, info from people that have had similair problems, and possible solutions to the humming. This sound is all I hear now that I know it is there. Very annoying.

Frustrated in Philly,

Steve

Sounds like a ground loop problem. Lots of people have them. Usually is fixed by trying a cheater plug which isolates the ground on the sub. I had a similar problem and found that it was a cheap interconnect. I would unplug the interconnect first and see if the hum goes away. I used the cheap blue AR lines from Best Buy and they caused a ton of noise in the sub when it was not operating, but was on. Also try isolating the incoming cable from the cable company. This has been known to cause a few noise problems in the past.

Mike

Steve B -- Have you made sure that your rca ( low level input ) does not come in close proximity , or run parallel to any power cords? If the two have to cross, make sure that they cross at as close to 90 degrees to minimize the inductive pickup of the 60 hz frequency that our power systems run on. 120 volt, 60 hertz. Also, at all times try not to coil up an AC power cord as this will worsen the effect. A better interconnect will usually help as well as they will tend not to pick up as much extraneous noise ( better shielding ). Another item to try is to connect a small wire from the chassis of your reciever on a grouding point and run this to your subwoofer amplifier chassis. If no such grounding points are provided, try a case screw on each. If you are still having problems, e-mail me and I will try to help you out. My e-mail is mhurd77@hotmail.com

Thanks guys. I will try these suggestions and see if I have any luck. Boston Acoustic's is in the process of sending me a ground that will go from the other RCA input, into one of the negative banana speaker terminals. If you guys are interested in a pic, email me, I'll send it over.

Steve

PS. Thanks againcwm35.gif