Powering RF-7ii's

batchov

A few months ago I purchased my RF-7ii's and didn't have enough cash leftover to go for an amp. A couple of weeks ago, my Left main speaker shot out a few seconds of a strange Reverb sort of sound that turned into a loud distortion sound. I turned off the receiver and checked the connections and everything seemed fine. About a week later the Right Speaker did the loud distortion sound so I turned off the receiver again and turned it back on - same sound! Both times this has happened has been while using the PS3 online so there is a possibility that there's something happening there. But I'm concerned that the 110 Watts per channel that my Onkyo HT RC180 is punching out, is really not close to enough for the RF-7ii's.

Looking at the Emotiva sale that is happening right now, it's hard not to go for the XPA-3, I think my RC-64 would benefit a great deal as well. I'm not looking to get louder, but am looking for even greater detail. Has anyone had any experiences with RF-7ii's and the XPA-3? Am I barking up the wrong tree and there is a product that would be a better choice?

Thanks in advance!

It's very possible you blew the tweeters. Pushing a receiver into clipping the signal sent to the speakers normally is what causes that. Do the tweeters sound bad all the time now? If so, they may need to be replaced. If they sound OK otherwise then the problem is not the tweeters but something in the signal path.

I was at a local store the other day listening to RF 7II's ran through a HK 3490, with no sub at moderate levels and it sounded pretty darn good. the 3490 was like 345.00 , so depending on your budget and setup it may be a nice addition. The problem you will run into by purchasing a new amp is that a new pre/pro or avr is in order. I don't know i the Onkyo you have has preouts. so keep that in mind as well.

Thanks for the replies!

The Speakers still sound great so I think I can rule out the tweeters having an issue. The Onkyo does have pre-outs so hopefully a new receiver isn't in order. I checked out the 3490, which is a great buget solution, but I'm using a 5.1 setup right now and will be going back to 7.1 in a couple of months when I move. I was considering looking at a Pioneer Elite Receiver, but if I'm able to add to my existing setup - I'd rather take that route

I definitely do not agre with this statement. Upgrading to a better/more powerful amp will improve the detail heard. The more powerful amp will be able to control the drivers much better. Think of the sound differences between a solid state amp and a tube amp. They can sound very different.

2 amps (with similar topology) playing WITHIN THEIR LIMITS sound more alike than different. It's once you drive the smaller amp into clipping or into loads it's not meant to handle do they start to sound different.

Right, but the RF7 are notorious for their low impedence dip. I assume the RF7ii are the same?

2 amps (with similar topology) playing WITHIN THEIR LIMITS sound more alike than different. It's once you drive the smaller amp into clipping or into loads it's not meant to handle do they start to sound different.

Right, but the RF7 are notorious for their low impedence dip. I assume the RF7ii are the same?

I was making a statement about amps in general, not their application with RF-7's. I'm well aware of their impedence dip. I believe I've got that covered in my system[;)].

I was using a Denon avr-4308 with 140 wpc channel and my RF-83s sounded very good. I bought the Emotiva XPA-5 and my 83s sounded like new speakers. They sound much clearer and much better overall. I just sold the 83s and will be going with some rf-7iis here soon. I say go with the emotiva.