Polk RTiA9's vs LaScalas

Awsom71

I have a guy at work that is selling a pair of Polks and tells me that they would blow my LaScalas away ...

I have never heard a pair of these before and just wondering if he is blowing wind or are these as awesome as he says.

I'm just curious ...being that he is asking $500 for the pair and I'm seriously thinking of buying another pair of LaScalas in the next week or two.

The Polks look nice, but comparing them to LaScalas is like comparing an apple to an orange. The Polk is more like the Reference Klipsch. IMO, if you have Heritage speakers, buy more of them, rather than mixing these in your system. One thing is for sure, if you buy LaScalas, you can always cash them in when you want money. This fellow is having to pump up his speakers and give them away.

Since his speakers are lighter, have him bring 1 of them to your house. Connect it to the right channel, and play some music in mono. See which speaker blows which away. [:)]

I've heard both. LaScala hands down...BUT, Mustang brings up a great point. The polks are more suited to compare to the reference line. I, for one, LOVE horns, so I was biased WAY before listening to the polks.

I also prefer the sound of my KLF-30s to the polks FWIW...but the polks may truly sound better to the seller, but to say the blow away a LaScala is bold. I'm with Mustang. A/B 'em, and if they sound good they ARE good [:)]

Efficiency is also related to what's in front of it. If one only happens to have a pinch more than a single watt, as is the case with what is probably the best sounding

amplifier I own, 90/dB for a watt will run out of headroom pretty quick. If on the other hand one happens to have on tap 250+ behind one's music, and depending

also, somewhat, on the genre of music and preferred listening levels, such moderate effieciency could be more than adequate.

As others mentioned, have a listen and please let your own tastes and impressions be the deciding factor. I almost bought a pair of Polk SDA -1

floorstanders years ago because they sounded really, really good. Go with an open mind and check em' out! Is there a chance you could arrange to listen

to them at home to get a better idea of what they will do in your own space and with your electronics?

I am not familiar with the RTiA9's but do very much like my Monitor 70's as surrounds. Crisp and clean notes. I have recently attempted to buy a pair of LaScala's but could not meet the asking price. $500 is worth a listen. Doubtful these would stand with the LaScala's but I suspect they sound very good for the asking price.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/polk-audio/floorstanding-speakers/mpl_1381_1594crx.aspx

No comparison really, and nothing truly "blows away" a La Scala. Are there better speakers? Certainly, but La Scalas are one-of-a-kind like the K-horns. The efficiency is so important. Even with a big gun amp, I'd take a 103 over a 90 any day of the week. And a speaker without a horn? No frappin way (goes with the forum your on I guess).

We are all just sharing personal opinions. Everyone responds differently to reproduced music, and while my main speakers are Klipschorns and La Scalas that are side by side, I can say I have heard some truly outstanding non-horn loaded speakers, including both more conventional dynamic driver-based designs and electrostatic panels. I have been a very big fan of horns for many years, but have seen more than one instance where a former ultra high efficiency horn user/owner drifted to a hefty transistor amp and less sensitive loudspeakers devoid of anything that remotely resembled a horn. Never hurts to try something new...... It's just stuff, after all....

The Polk Cherry models look good for the price, I do admire the wood veneer. They are just a "Garden Variety" ported speaker in most respects. If you like the Klipsch sound, they will sound muffled like a lot of other brands. I have seen them sell new for $299/pr, so I wouldnt invest more than half the $400 average price for them used. Like most speakers they rarely ever sell for the MSRP....

I have had $2k Polks that pretty much sucked, and $500 Polks that were very sweet.You never know how they sound till ya hear em', but blow away LS, not possible.

Well said! I have a friend with Polk RTiA9's and when he comes over, he can't wait to hear my La Scalas. I loaned him a 250wpc amp, hoping it would help him enjoy his speakers more, but he still drools over the La Scalas!

These aren't "apples and oranges", these are two different animals altogether! yes.gif

Dennie