help convince me to keep my KLF 20s...

ousig

I have been considering a tube pre amp, like an old Quicksilver or Audible Illusions. But I am kind of afraid I might spend a grand on a tube pre amp and find it doesn't sound that much better than the 3800. I had the 3800 and 170DC restored about 4 years ago by a vintage Marantz expert so I should be good to go with them for another 25 years. That combination is very warm sounding, but it still has lots of punch and detail. I did the Crites Ti tweeter diaphragm upgrade last night on my KLF-20s. Gonna do some more mods to them soon.

I did move on from the speakers but good news is my dad is rocking them in his new home theater that I put together for him last week - with the KLFC7 center and some reference ceiling surrounds and the same Sunfire sub I have. He is using a new Pioneer SC-55 AVR and they sound great just like I remebered. I can only imagine with those kind of pre amps and tube amps what they could sound like...

I am happy with my current setup, especially with my space and how I can really use it right now.

I remember my main criteria when I was shopping for speakers; they had to be able to play "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" off Led Zeppelin III without distorting, LOL. John Bonham bashes his kick-drum harder than on any other recording, and John Paul Jones bass was starting to breaking up as well.

I took the CD to the store and the KLF-20s did the job better than anything else.

The good news is they sound wonderful on other types of music, too.

ha exactly

I needed something to last through my college frat days - and sounded good at the same time. I went through/fried multiple pair of Polk Audio and Cerwin Vega speakers. It was heaven when the 20s lasted through whatever I put through them for hours off my QSC 200 watt/channel amp at full power.