What Are You Using For A Media PC?

AnalogWave

This is not a platform war question, just a simple curiosity – are you using a Mac, Linux or a Windows PC for a media server? I got the idea for the question after reading the following post from Dave, which spotlights a Windows/Linux only program.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/157149.aspx

I ask because I'm wondering how the market is developing in comparison to the user base.

I use a Mac Mini with Pure Music software.

This is not a platform war question, just a simple curiosity – are you using a Mac, Linux or a Windows PC for a media server?

IMHO, no reason anymore to debate. Good solutions on all platforms. Linux is most cost effective, PC works fine, Mac if you have money...all equaly effective. When I built my first media computer in 02, it was quite a challenge. No more.

Now, I am very interested in the Signalyst software I mentioned in another thread. DSD playback, if it is for real and not resampled to PCM as I fear, would be very cool and almost the "ENDGAME" for media pc's.

Dave

No debate, just a head count. A 'Poll' function would be more to the point but I don't think this forum has that functionality.

In some fields I can see not spending the time or money on a Mac compatible software package but music wouldn't seem to be one of them. Again, I'm not resentful or throwing stones, just curious. In fact, it would also be interesting if one of the forum Admins would comment on the ratio of Macs to PCs used by members to access the forum and maybe provide a little historical data.

Mac - 1
PC - 1

PC with Win7 for storage and "front end" playback. But most of my stuff is .wav files (I like .wav as I believe in the KISS principle, and it's simple and I'm stupid). The back end is the Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD stereo only "audiophile grade" card. Has interchangeable op-amps, etc.

I may however, look at Dave's suggestion regarding Signalyst software.

I'm running a fairly low end Dell Optiplex with Windows 7 and J. River Media Center. I've installed an Asus Xonar card that provides an optical output which feeds my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC.

It sounds really nice. Especially when playing the few 24/96 FLAC albums that I've bought from hdtracks.com. The bulk of my music collection (6000+ tracks) is ripped to 320Kb VBR MP3s. Slowly but surely I'm re-ripping my CDs to lossless FLACs.

The weak point of the machine is the on board video. As such it really can't do any HD video without lots of problems. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a decent fideo card for it. Until that day comes it's a music only machine.

Linux on a PC with three sound cards. Rip to FLAC using abcde and playback to main floor sound system using banshee through toslink on sound card #2, and to downstairs main system using xbmc through coax on sound card #3, controlled via my Android phone (perhaps a tablet would be a better remote).

Home built Win 7 HTPC. Quad core CPU, 4 GB RAM. Previously had all media (several TB) on a Windows Home Server. Am in the process of migrating media HDDs to HTPC. JRiver MC17 Playback Software with it's Media Server enabled to share media to several other PCs. Asus Essence ST with H6 Daughter Card soundcard - analog outs straight to power amps. 5.1 Audio for playback of ripped and downloaded audio as well as video including BlueRay.

Very happy with what we have.

Rod

I am sold on the Squeezebox Touch for its Versatility and adaptablity. I own 3 of them.

All of my media is stored on a Super Fast, Super Quiet, Custom PC. Intel Quad Core i7-2600 3.4 Ghz Sandy River, 16gb of ram, 2.5 TB of Disk... Blah, Blah Blah.......The nice thing about the Squeezebox is the PC is located upstairs and the listening room is downstairs.....Squeezebox does the streaming into a DAC.

So thus far...

Well, here's my "digital" system(s):

- An older 800 MHz. Titanium PowerBook as my "media pc."

- (2) 80 Gig Firewire portable hard drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration for storage.

- Keces DA-151 USB DAC / Beringer FCA202 Firewire DAC (new to me, thanks Nick!)

- Rip to ALAC (Apple Lossless) using MAX (free) app.

- iTunes

The analog output from the DAC is routed to the Spare Input of a Dynaco PAS-3 which feeds a Dynaco ST-70 & Forte IIs.

On the HT system I have Apple TV into an Onkyo 7.1 receiver. That gives me all my ripped music via "sharing" with my MacBook Pro, Apple's music channels, + Pandora through either a 2 channel (kg3.5s) system, or a 5.1 surround system.

Turntables (Thorens TD-160 & AR-XA) & CDPs (Rega Planet & Sony muli-player) round out my analog sources.

It's All Good! ;-)

Frank W.

I've a Benchmark USB DAC as well - what did you have done to yours and was the result subtle or quite noticeable?

I really like mine but I must admit I was a bit disappointed to hear from a Benchmark Rep that they don't offer upgrades when I purchased mine. He seemed to suggest (almost two years on now) that there really wasn't much more to achieve sonically and that it would just be the feature set that changed. If I wanted different/new features, sell privately and buy new.

Another linux user here. I run a 1TB Vortexbox as the server for both FLAC and MP3. This goes out to iPhone, iPod, Old Roku, WD TV, Squeezebox etc...

On a ironic note - I've been a PC guy for more than 25 years... I bought the Vortexbox so that I could quit fiddling with the server side of it and just listen to music. Best purchase I have made in a while.

Added to my system...my son got an Xbox Kinect for Christmas. It's now connected in the family room which has Frazier Eleven's (these are refrigerator sized monsters for those not familiar). Setup was a typical Microsoft nightmare, but it is now also connected to my music server and I must say I am amazed at the audio performance of this thing. I am not a big fan of Media Center, whose interface it uses, and prefer just to access my files via a file browser, but it is tolerable and using gestures to access things suggests the future is just around the corner.

As a bonus, Netflix performance, both sound and picture, is much better than the Roku and there is BluRay as well.

Nice for my son to get a toy I can enjoy as well.

Dave