Horizontal/Vertical Cornwall Placement

pcapps

I have a pair of '65 Cornwalls that can either be used in a horizontal or vertical position. In the vertical position, the woofers are offset from center and the mids and tweeters are rotated 90 degrees and offset also. The two speakers are a mirror image of each other, with the woofer mounted on the left side on one speaker and the other woofer is mounted on the right side of the opposite speaker, suggesting there is a left and a right side speaker. I understand how to turn the speakers for the horizontal position by placing the tweeter and mid range as high as possible, but which speaker is the left or right channel in the vertical position? Should the tweeter and mid range be placed towards the outside of each speaker or the inside? Thanks

I'm hoping someone more technical than me will chime in but I can share my experience. I have tried all configurations at one time or other. It came down to experimentation with what sounded the best. This is really tough moving these around on top of 8 foot cabinets! They sound much better down on the floor! SInce I was limited by the room layout I found that I would put the tweeter/squawker on the outside if I was forced to have the speakers close together (4 feet apart in my case right now) and on the tweeters on the inside when I had the speakers further apart. I never got to try them in corners toed in as described by PWK's "Dope from hope."

Experimenting with toe in and distance from the wall seemed to have more effect. At this point, I have not been able to get to a point where I am completely satisfied with the soundstage. Hopefully, someone will give some advice that will give you a head start on any experimentation.

Should the tweeter and mid range be placed towards the outside of each speaker or the inside?

I'd turn them to the outside if there aren't any close-by walls or furniture within ~10 inches to the outside of the cabinets. This includes furniture or equipment that are even with, or slightly behind the front of the speakers (...but never in front of the speaker...).

If there are close-by walls, you could move the speakers slightly away from the side walls, or you could turn them to the inside, or you can put acoustic tiles on the wall closest to the speaker. The idea is to get the maximum separation of the midrange/tweeters to achieve wide stereo imaging, without incurring strong early reflections from close-by sound reflectors.

Chris