Remembering Your First System, Merry Christmas

kaiser SET say

I sort of remember my first stereo system.

It was the early 70's and I was 16. Things were a bit hazy back then, (I started early).

I had a job as a janitor at the Bon Marche and on the second floor were the stereos.

They stocked Sony systems and I had to have one. I saved my hard earned cash and bought a low power Sony receiver and speaker package.

That's when it all started. Lots of details surrounding the enjoyment of said stereo are shrouded in a cloud of smoke.

Before that I would comandeer my older brothers portable record player and play the crap out of Chubby Checker, The Box Tops, The Animals, Jimi Hendrix and the Rolling Stones. Of course when he would catch me, I would get a butt kicking, but, that never deterred me, (hard headed I guess).

My 5 year old granddaughter, (courtesy of Grandpa) has had her first system for a year now.

Tom

My first "real" stereo consisted of a Pioneer SX-3600 Flouroscan 30 wpc receiver, a Pioneer turntable (model # isn't coming to mind right now), and a pair of Realistic 12" 3-way speakers, back in 1981... I owned several pair of Realistic speakers in my youth, including Mach IIs, they always had those buy one get one free deals that were great for a broke 18 year old kid ... Ah, those were the days... Great thread!! [H]

• Moderators

Now that looks like a great system! Great voicing, nice stereo separation, and the center channel...... Oh well..... Gotta' run, my wife just walked in... Devil

Nice setup but those models can be expensive when it comes to maintenance.

I do remember my first setup, worth counting at least, Sansui 8080, Akai 630 RTR, Yamaha and Technics turntables and JBL speakers.

To me it was great, I gave the JBL to a friend and got some Advent speakers because to me the JBL was all bass and the Advent sounded much better.

Wish I still had the Sansui and Akai, I do miss those two.

Now that looks like a great system! Great voicing, nice stereo separation, and the center channel...... Oh well..... Gotta' run, my wife just walked in... Devil

OH YEA.... In my somewhat limited experience those models are VERY high maintenance. Lots of fun to play with though. Unfortunately none of them are equipped with remote controls that include a "mute" button.

I remember my first "decent" stereo system very well. It consisted of a Marantz 2240 receiver, a pair of Belles, a Dual 1249 T/T with a Shure V15 (forget which series), a Pioneer CT-F9191 cassette deck, and an Akai R2R which I've forgotten the model number. The Belles were too big for my bedroom so they were in the living room of my parent's house and I had a pair of Realistic Nova something or the other in my bedroom.

What was really fun about that period was the local (Orlando) "album rock" FM station. Every night at 11:00 they would play an album in its entirety. Just before 11:00 the DJ would call off the list of tracks on both sides. At 11:00 on the dot there would be a 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 countdown and the album would begin and then play without any pauses, breaks or commercials. I had my system set up on a timer that would record every night's album on the R2R. The next day I would give it a listen and if it was something I wanted to keep I'd dub it over to cassette. I was able to build a pretty good music collection at little cost.

jhoak, my wife loves your signature line, I just had to show it to her one night and she laughed for ten minutes after reading it[;)]

My first system was a Grundig Short Wave receiver that my older 1/2 brother sent me from Germany in 1969, it had a pair of matching cabinet 2 ways with a 10" woof. Went to a local stereo shop in downtown San Antonio after being sent to an orphange there 1970 (parents passed) and the gentlemen hooked me up with a Dual table and Shure probably something like yours. This was my first system and tubes at that, if it were not for a lot of good analog sessions I may not have survived my trials and tribulations that we just call life. Audio and music has always had a profound affect on me and my life and I thank whoever has watched over me for making sure I had it!

Now to start that thread of the very first albums I bought myself with my summertime job (mowing dem thar lawns) money[:o] First three record albums I ever bought myself were Rod "Every Picture Tells a Story", Hendrix "Band of Gypsys" and "Zeps first[:D]

My first system when 16 bought by selling white german shepard puppies. A sony 7065 reciever and pair of koss pro-4AA headphones use to sleep with those on..lol. Then begging for speakers for a year got AR-2xa and a pioneer turntable. The ARs didnt last long bottomed woofer out and sold them. Then started my quest for LaScalas got some altecs [forgot model] for awhile then plunged 1280.00 for new Lascalas birch stained top grills in 1979 wow they smelled so good when they delivered and set them up in my living room and then the sound OMG. I still have them i am veneering them in Cherry right now pics when done. I have pics of my K-Horn re-do on forum somewhere?? Bought them and someone had painted them with house paint and not very well..lol.. re-did those in oiled walnut veneer. That was my first veneer project took long time but did pretty good job i think. Rick

First reasonable system... Philips GA212 TT, JVC 30wpc integrated and some HK speakers - Walnut veneer cabinets, 8 inch woofer and tweeter. The speakers lasted until I got a pair of JBL 4311s in '72, and the KKs were given to friends.

Bruce

Electophonic 8-track integrated receiver with included speakers. All of it had the vented tag board backing and built in RCA speaker wire. Through this I ran an Emerson portable disc player. No joke. I grew up very poor and had never heard a good home stereo system till I was in college. I started from the very bottom and one day I will have every component that I want.

1975-77 bought my first system from Rat Shack-75wpc-turntable & Mach 1 speakers. still have the receiver and turntable and my brother has the Mach 1's added to his Mach 1's. added a Pioneer CT-F 1000 cassette deck brand new and still have it. used this up until 1990 and bought my first Klipsch speakers. 1986 K-horns in cherry oil. since then i had 3 sets of k-horns - 3 sets of belles - 1 set scalas - 10 sets of cornwalls - 12 sets of heresys