AMP Needed for RF82ii?

kietton

Just purchased the RF82II bundle (RF82II, RC62II, RS-52II). I'm trying to match the best AMP for these speakers. I currently have a Denon AVR 2312CI but might be looking to upgrade to the 3312.

My question is can I just run the RF82II with an AMP and all the other speakers with my current receiver?

Or should I run all my speakers through the AMP?

I am currently looking at the XPA-5 or the Outlaw 7125. Any other suggestions?

Very curious to hear what others have to say. I have the same setup as you run with a Denon 3312 with no amp and I've been satisfied with the sound. Keep in mind these are in a smaller living room, 17x13x8. I've wondered myself what if any gains I would see by adding an amp.

you might able to run just the towers off of a 2 channel amp with your current receiver, i believe it has 2 channel preout if i remember correctly from looking at it the other night. Its nice to have a receiver multi channel out because you could use the internal amp or an external amp if you please. I suggested int he other thread, the outlaw 7125 can be paired with the marantz sr5005 and you save 200 on the deal so its only 1300. I have the marantz in my bedroom and i am very satisfied with the quality of the internal amp. I have the outlaw pushing the big toys in the family room. It just may be financially economical, im not sure what the denon avr 2312CI goes for.

you can always check out parasound, rotel, arcam, acurus, b&k and there are plenty others for power amps, everything is dependent upon your budget of course. When you enter the world of separates or consider it, be aware, you are making things morfe complicated. Always get the shortest rca signal cables that are shielded and be prepared to troubleshoot groundloops. I dont know anyone that hasnt had a groundloop issue, avr or separates, everyone has had a GL at some point. Good thing though, we are here to help you troubleshoot.

Just purchased the RF82II bundle (RF82II, RC62II, RS-52II).

Kietton,

Looks like the makings of a great setup.

I currently have a Denon AVR 2312CI but might be looking to upgrade to the 3312. My question is can I just run the RF82II with an AMP and all the other speakers with my current receiver?

You can run your RF-82II's with a seperate amp if your Denon AVR 2312CI had multichannel preouts. Unfortunately it only has subwoofer and zone 2 preouts. The AVR 3312CI does have multichannel preouts.

Or should I run all my speakers through the AMP? I am currently looking at the XPA-5 or the Outlaw 7125. Any other suggestions?

I own B&K and think very highly of their gear.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1329593085&/B-K-AV5125-125-wpc-x-5-/-great

I have owned this same amp and loved it also.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1329519188&/NAD-925-THX-5-ch-Power-Amp

And if you really want your RF-82II's and RC-62II to thump and have great detail, look at this.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1328942498&/Acurus-200-x3-power-amplifier-

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Still debating on the Acurus 200x3 but found a Cinenova Grande 5-Channel Amp for a decent price ($800). I am thinking the Acurus would be perfect now but if I bought the Cinenova I can expand in the future. Your thoughts?

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Cinenova amps and can only give my opinion on the Acurus amps, love them.[Y]

If you do like the Acurus 200x3, just add an Acurus 2-channel amp(A250, A200, A150) when you are ready to expand. I think Acurus is one of the best built best sounding amps you can find for so little $$$ on the used market. Even when new, Acurus amps offered a ton of performance and value over many amps costing considerably more $$$.

Bill

Bill nailed it. The 2312CI doesn't have the needed pre-outs so you will need a new avr if you want to use an amp. That then begs the question if you are going to use an external amp then you really don't need a full AVR you would be better off spending money on a solid pre/pro. I'm sure its been mentioned but Klipsch horns are very efficient you could run them off a clock radio. :) So a decent AVR will run your setup just fine. But if you really won't to blow your brains out and have all that uber headroom then separates is the way to go.

I have my RF-82's, RC-64, and RS-62's running off an XPA-5 and love it. It is an appreciable upgrade over running them off my onkyo. Only Thing running off my avr are the rear surround RB-61's.