I've Finally Moved On From Cd's and Albums.....Almost.

SWL

Amazing, huh? Wait until you get everything ripped to a drive (BACK THE SUCKER UP - I got mine in a safe deposit box (no kidding)) and you can just sit back and play anything in your library with a few clicks. The filtering, the grouping - anything in any order on a whim. It's not about being lazy, it's about taking away the interruptions and letting the music play. I've fallen asleep numerous times. The ulitimate decompression chamber.

The HRT is really amazing! I kept the Streamer II+ and sold the V-dac and Dacmagic (both arguably good!) My favorite DACs are still tube DACs, however. The Grant Fidelity and Havana were good enough that I stopped looking. For me, it seemed I found the best synergy with the HRT Streamer II+ and the Yamaha CR2020 and CA2010.

DACs don't help us if we have any SACD. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think HDCD will either. I can't create FLAC files from the SACD and am limited to the standard version from my hybrid SACDs. I was never able to use any DAC as an external DAC for my CD player when listening to SACDs.

Can't quite get rid of the CD player but it is close.

• 3 months later...

I kept the Streamer II+ and sold the V-dac and Dacmagic

I went ahead and picked up another Music Streamer ll "Plus" in addition to the Streamer ll. Is the "Plus" better for the additional $200.00? Well, I got tighter bass and slightly more refined mids-highs.....so I'd have to say yes.

My experience with these units has not worked well with my tubes. However, in my solid state systems they shine. Beats me. YMMV. [:^)]

I am using an HRT streamer II as well. I have been very pleased with the sound quality, it made the extra laptop I have into a nice music libary along with media monkey. Much better than the Olive products. I have playlists of around 1500 songs, making my own radio stations is awesome and makes working at home much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

I'm an Apple guy, so I use Time Machine, which is backup software built right into the OS. There are numerous other software packages for the Mac but I can't offer any personal experience with Windows software. Depending upon how large your library is and the size of your backup drive, you could just drag and drop the entire library, maybe keeping the last three or so backups and then bumping the oldest when you backup the fourth time. My safe deposit box is used for other items as well but it fulfills the other important criteria for any critical data - OFF SITE. Fire or theft may not be likely but they happen, and If your original media is lost at the same time, then you're really deep in it. How often you backup depends upon how much new music you add over a span of time and if you backup other data like digital photos.

I kept the Streamer II+ and sold the V-dac and Dacmagic

I went ahead and picked up another Music Streamer ll "Plus" in addition to the Streamer ll. Is the "Plus" better for the additional $200.00? Well, I got tighter bass and slightly more refined mids-highs.....so I'd have to say yes.

My experience with these units has not worked well with my tubes. However, in my solid state systems they shine. Beats me. YMMV. Huh?

Picked up a Streamer II+ myself and what a transformation of the pc music library. There is no way this thing should sound this good. Thanks for the tip Scott.[Y]

Can someone please explain to this Luddite what that gizmo does?

In other words, I currently have approx 450 gig of music on a 1TB external. I use iTunes and a Squeezebox Touch server. My understanding is the SBox has an internal DAC to better deliver my Apple Lossless "recordings" to my 2CH setup.

Is this a similar device to the SB or "mo betta?" I gather that "monkey" is the PC based program used to manipulate and arrange the music?

I picked up my SB for half price and would consider moving to this device if it provides me the same ease of manipulation and better sound quality.

Or, is there more to it?

If I understand what you are asking... The short answer is that the Streamer II+ could not be used with the Squeezebox Touch. The Streamers only have USB input. The USB connection on the Squeezebox is for an external hard drive as a media source.

The internal DAC on the Squeezebox isn't bad but you can use a DAC with the Squeezebox for improved sound. I used my VDAC via a SPDIF (toslink) connection to the Squeezebox for quite a while. It worked well but I sold it when I found that I was mainly getting to listen to "Veggietales" or the like on that system.

Picked up a Streamer II+ myself and what a transformation of the pc music library. There is no way this thing should sound this good. Thanks for the tip Scott.Yes

Right awn.....I'm enjoying the day off jammin mine right now. [Y][Y]

Panasonic SA-XR's will handle up to 192 kHz PCM stereo. If you can find one, they'll accept a SACD or DVD-A bitstream for ya.

SACD is 2.8mhz. I have three Pany's running in the house.

I you want to convert DSD to PCM, download Audiogate from Korg. I believe they are giving it away now. Granted, not quite sure how you get the data off SACD as I use DSD for location recording and home LP recording, etc and don't have any SACDs as such.

However, if you can get it off Audiogate will convert to any PCM res you want...

Dave