ProMedia 4.1's - reviews & 230V availability

GoG

I'm highly anticipating the 230V release of the new ProMedia 4.1's, so I took the privilege to phone up the 2.1 distributor here in the Netherlands.

He was able to inform me that the 230V 4.1's would be available in three weeks time; end of March. He couldn't give any price indication yet, though. Who cares about the price anyway, I can hardly wait! :-)

Even though it'll take as much as a miracle to convince me that the 4.1's are not going to be my next set of speakers, I am really interested in what the professional reviewers have to say about this revamped v2-400 set. Yes, I've read all of your postings on this bulletin board and they've been really helpful - yet I would still like one of the more thorough reports that the regular sites had to offer about the v2-400.

Would it maybe be an idea for Klipsch, to send the sites that reviewed the v2-400 a 4.1 set so that they too can revamp their reviews?

Cheers,

------------------

Roderick 'GoG' van Domburg - ICQ UIN 7798700

GamePoint - The Dutch On-Line Gaming Company

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response with the two URLs! To put it like this, well erm, especially the review found at the Gamers Depot came in handy. ;-) I am sorry to say that I don't have any other ones for you.

Brainwave: I've been considering using my own 16 gauge (or better) wiring with the mono jacks as quite a few here suggested. Haven't read any review though recommending the same thing, and now that the new crossover is in place it might not at all be necessary for the midrange. We'll see.

• Like 1

did I forget to mention the transformer cost me 10$ For all of you who think it isn't a good one ,I tested it in the engineering lab at the unversity and it give excellent conversions and did deliver an approx. of 10Amps to a load (promedia require a max of 6 Amps) 10Amps means it can go as high as 1100Watts . Anyway it seems that transformers are much expensive in the states for several reasons.(I found the tranformer I bought in an U.S add for about 150$ ) Wow I might just export these babies , but then I think the regulations there require a grounding(none here)

The only thing that remains is the frequency around 50Hz here and in Europe I guess , but it doesnt really matter since the Amplifier rectifies the A.C voltage to a DC voltage.

Cheers !

Hmm, interesting. So where did you get that $10 transformer, was it a local retailer or could I order one online? Kind of weird that you got it $140 cheaper than advertised. :-)

I wonder what the price difference will be between the 120V and 230V 4.1's. We'll see if it'll be worth the hassle. You might have gotten a decent device, but I might buy a piece of junk all the same and screw up the sound quality bigtime.

By the way, frequency isn't any different around here; 50Hz, too. I don't think that the 4.1's will be grounded, either, but that's just my (educated) guess.

• Like 1

Well GoG I'll answer you in points so that you follow me

1.The transformer is 140$ different than the same one found in the U.S (I live in lebanon)

2.It is locally made (I tested it as I mentioned ) so can you to ease your mind.

3.I think (guess) there is at least a 100$ differnce given that the 2.1 are sold for 300 $ in europe (maybe the 4.1 will cost about 500$) it depends where you live)

4.About the grounding I mean the transformer I bought that not have a ground(it's cheap remember ) Grounding is for safety and is required by U.S law (thats why I reconsidered exporting them)

Cheers!!

Gotya. =)

The 2.1's go for fl. 600,- here. That would be something like $260. Since I'm on a budget, I would have serious doubts buying the 4.1's if they got any higher than $400.

I adore music, but it's not like I'd ever need the power delivered by the 4.1's in my college dorm. Instead I'd just go for the 2.1, and bear with the obvious slight loss in quality. I guess I could always make it a 4.2 set lateron, although I'm concerned by the sound balance, since it would seem to me like the dual subwoofers would produce an absolute overkill of bass.

Anyway, so for another one of my brainwaves. :-) Thanks for the feedback, fawwaz!

• Like 1

I don't really know what you mean by "london drugs", but I take it that's a store or warehouse of some kind?

Anyway, the difference is that on the American continent, the power outlets are rated at 120V and those in Europe at 230V. They're not directly interchangeable - if you plug a 120V device into a 230V socket, you're going to have yourself fireworks.

That's why there are two different version of the 4.1's. They've just got a different power supply to match the voltage rating, but otherwise they're the exact same and sound the same.

• Like 1

quote:

Originally posted by GoG:

Gotya. =)

The 2.1's go for fl. 600,- here. That would be something like $260. Since I'm on a budget, I would have serious doubts buying the 4.1's if they got any higher than $400.

I adore music, but it's not like I'd ever need the power delivered by the 4.1's in my college dorm. Instead I'd just go for the 2.1, and bear with the obvious slight loss in quality. I guess I could always make it a 4.2 set lateron, although I'm concerned by the sound balance, since it would seem to me like the dual subwoofers would produce an absolute overkill of bass.

Anyway, so for another one of my brainwaves. :-) Thanks for the feedback, fawwaz!

There is no loss in quality for the 2.1's. Only a loss in the 2 extra speakers. Sure the 2.1 sub is 130 watts instead of 160 for the 4.1's and the sats are 35 watts instead of 60 watts but you still get the improved x-over,headphone jack and the aux input. Check out the reveiw at gamersdepot.com. They say it's the best 2.1 system you can buy for your pc. ROCK ON !

That is very true -- thanks for correcting me. I guess what I was hinting at, was that for example DVD movies and that kind of thing wouldn't be as immersive as with the 4.1's. That, and the entire 3D sound positioning in games. So I'll have to weigh the cons and pros.

• Like 1

Thats nice to hear too bad that in reality there ,well how can I say it "No Peace"

there will not be a 220v in the U.S and klipsch and all of the online retailers dont export outside the U.S.

klipsch has a weak distribution link outside the U.S.

ZiNC, if you're really interested, let me know and send me a private message either by e-mail, ICQ, or on this bulletin board.

If you'd wire me the money or send me a cheque, I could buy you a 220V set here in the Netherlands and have it sent your way.

------------------

Roderick 'GoG' van Domburg - ICQ UIN 7798700

GamePoint - The Dutch On-Line Gaming Company

• Like 1