Integrated Amp w/ Phono for use w/ Forte II's

papashawn

I'm looking for a nice integrated amp (new or old) to use in my two channel turntable setup. I have a music hall MMF5.1 table, and its running into an old 70's receiver that was a budget piece even back then. The sound is just not good. I'm looking to spend no more than $600. I would be ok with getting an integrated amp and a separate phono preamp, as long as it stays within that budget.

I'm also interested in knowing what would sound good running my Forte II's. They have completely rebuilt crossovers (courtesy of popbumper) but they're not being used to their full potential! I listen to a lot of metal music, but there is quite a bit of 60's/70's classic rock and prog in there as well. I mainly want a nice warm sound, not harsh or bright. Initial thoughts were a Marantz in the 2245 style, but finding one that has been professionally restored can be tough.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone, hope you're all having a great new year so far!!

The quality integrated amps really are nice. Musical Fidelity, Music Hall, Creek, etc. They have more power than you might guess from the specs and can really improve a system. You also have the chance of getting a nice tube integrated....sweet.

I had originally wanted to go with exactly this, a Scott 299 that had been restored. But, I'm not very keen on the maintenance and cost of upkeep for the tube world, despite the obvious benefit of getting to listen to my forte's through a tube amp!

I thought about the Outlaw integrated, I've seen them go on sale every once in a while, with free shipping too. I've read some bad things about them not being made as solidly as you would expect for the price range. Issues with the volume knob, etc.

I'll have to check out the other integrated's listed on Audiogon and here in the Garage sale section. I'm leaning toward one of those old marantz units, despite having never heard one. Something tells me it would be a very pleasant upgrade [:)]

Hi papashawn,

I have a Scott 299 restoered by Craig at Nos Valves that I run with my Forte II's with, I also have the upgraded xovers by Chris (popbumper) and use the phono section in it as well. As for upkeep it has been plug and play for over 5 years now!!! This is my vintage system it doesn't get alot of action because of my main 2 channel setup but, it has a tonal quality that is just very realistic and hard to beat for the money!!! My advice would be to find a nice cosmetic 299 and have Craig go through it, he is very knowledgeable with these amps and reasonable!!!

Jay

post-21005-13819685123286_thumb.jpg

canyonman, thanks for the info. Glad to hear you haven't had to mess with the Scott after getting it tuned up! That thing is a real beauty. I keep bouncing back and forth between the Scott and Marantz in my head (though I haven't heard either). I know I'll be happy with either one. Part of me really wants to have a 299 sitting on my shelf and see those tubes glowing [H], even if it does cost a few hundred $ more. I suppose when the right deal comes around, I'll know it!

I was half hoping to read that you were thinking of parting ways with your 299 when I started reading your post, haha. I'll keep looking. There was a post in the garage sale that landed someone with a 299 in a matter of 3 days or less! Exactly what he was looking for, restored by Craig and everything.

papashawn,

I had all Marantz gear before I went to tubes, there is no comparison!!! Get the tubes, tubes and horns were made for each other!!! As for letting go of my Scott well I'd have to think about it!!! (Hard) Everything does have it's price, the main two reasons I keep it are it was my first tube amp and the tonal quality I spoke about earlier; OH Yea it's paid for too!!!

Jay

Sounds like you are focusing towards a Scott or Marantz. Suggested it before and will do it again: Try a Harman Kardon 430 or 730. A 430 usually sells for $100-140 shipped on Ebay. Affordable and it has a very warm, non-brassy sound. It matches well with my Chorus IIs. I listen to a good amount of heavy/thicker music also.

I had a Marantz 2245 that sounded bright compared to the HK, IMO. The vinage HKs will do you well!

post-34666-13819685134556_thumb.jpg